Never smile at a Crocodile, don't be taken in by his friendly grin

• 6 Replies

mrs bouquet

Sine the rain started, my Velux window has been leaking a tad.

Along comes a chap, mid-forties.  The straightest, whitest teeth, I have ever seen.   Blindingly obvious as soon as I opened the door.

Yes definitely a replacement (I wasn't surprised it is an original!).   £1,350 all incl.  But it is possible that we might break some tiles, and they don't make them anymore (I know that too, they've been up there since 1965)  I don't know, we might break some, they will be very brittle.   Now I am not looking for business, BUT, if you want it all done £4,200 incl..   When he had gone, I thought am I paying for your teeth  :nowink:

Today another roofer rang from about 20 miles further out.  I gave him the dimension etc.  He said, Oh a new window, £750 + vat.  I explain about the old tiles.  He said, don't worry about that, if we break some we will replace them from the reclamation yard.   We're roofer, that's what we do.

Now I don't really want   or can afford a new roof, and it is not presenting any problems.

So, who am I going to choose  :D   I hear the words - Old Lady - take advantage - she's on her own - etc. 

Well yes, I am old, but I am NOT blooming stupid,   :lol: :lol: :lol:  Mrs Bouquet
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 19:40 by mrs bouquet »
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Lardman

What you're not going to do it yourself  ::)

If it's any consolation it's neither an age or gender thing. In my experience job pricing has nothing to do with the job and more to do with what they they you can afford to pay.

A quick rule of thumb on general builders work though is 30% materials 70% labour.  There are a couple of things regarding fire safety on roof windows and check it is a velux rather than an off brand roof window (assuming you want velux). 

You're doing alright with a 4K quote for the roof though - they wanted 6.5K for mine and that was just to strip and replace the blown ones with reclaimed tiles.  I told them not to bother, it only leaks when it rains.  :D

snow white

Get one more quote and decide.  If they are legit then that is a good  price.

Goosegirl

Definitely get another quote and also their credentials such as belonging to any guilds, association etc, and if they have been recommended. I'm sure there are a few websites you can giggle such as this:
https://www.trustatrader.com/double-glazing/ so you have a bit more info.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kleftiwallah

I should get a youthful vigorous male aquaintance to approach the same companies and see what he is told!

(I'm not reeeealy a cinical old Hector)!! !

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mrs bouquet

What you're not going to do it yourself  ::)

If it's any consolation it's neither an age or gender thing. In my experience job pricing has nothing to do with the job and more to do with what they they you can afford to pay.

A quick rule of thumb on general builders work though is 30% materials 70% labour.  There are a couple of things regarding fire safety on roof windows and check it is a velux rather than an off brand roof window (assuming you want velux). 

You're doing alright with a 4K quote for the roof though - they wanted 6.5K for mine and that was just to strip and replace the blown ones with reclaimed tiles.  I told them not to bother, it only leaks when it rains.  :D
At one time I probably could have done it  :D  But I couldn't even lift it now.
I definitely want Velux, that's what is there at the present and its done 22 years.
However, after listening to lots of advice and points of view, I have decided to only replace the window.
If and when the roof ever leaks, Then I shall cross that bridge at the time.   (that's the bridge across the stream of water pouring through  :lol:)
Or like you, I could just leave the bucket under the drip as you say it only happens when it rains.  regards, Mrs Bouquet

mrs bouquet

I should get a youthful vigorous male aquaintance

If I could get one of those, I'd keep him.  (Maybe he could fix the window as well  :blush: )  cheers, Mrs Bouquet

xx
Friendly robin

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

15 Replies
Last post December 28, 2017, 13:44
by Mr Dog

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 42 queries.