Bamboo for screening

• 8 Replies

Batesy

Bamboo for screening
« on: July 03, 2018, 12:16 »
Hi all,

I don't usually post in this section of the forum, but I have a question regarding bamboo:

Our patio area is quite overlooked and so we decided to build a wooden planter and grow something in it to add some privacy. Our immediate thought was to grow bamboo, but I didn't realise there were so many types.

The planter will be 240cm long, 60cm wide and 100cm tall, and will be placed perpendicular to our fence, which is 6ft high. Ideally we would like to keep the bamboo at the same height as the fence. What's the best type to grow in such conditions? This part of the garden gets quite a bit of sun, and is partially sheltered.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Many thanks

mrs bouquet

Re: Bamboo for screening
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2018, 13:21 »
Hi, I have some bamboo for screening, which is just the regular one,  however, I grow mine in 2 very large  ornamental plastic tubs.  By growing this way, they are under control., and actually stay at around 6/7 feet high.  Every 3 years or so, they are pulled out and literally sawn in half and then replanted. (other halves passed on to friends, garden club etc)
  I haven't found them to be at all fuss, any soil and old rubbish will do.  When they get thirsty their leaves will start to roll inward as a little sign.
  The only negative I find is that they do drop leaves continually, apart from that very happy.  regards Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2018, 16:58 »
I have the black bamboo planted in a border, it is slow growing & non invasive, so it might fit the bill.  Not bamboo but our patio could be looked down on from our right hand side neighbours bedroom window, I’ve always fancied pleached limes or some other type of tree, over the top of the fence but never done it
« Last Edit: July 06, 2018, 22:23 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Batesy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 13:21 »
Thanks both for your replies. Mrs Bouquet.. I don't suppose you know the name of the regular one, do you? And you mention the leaves so is it quite bushy all the way up the canes or just towards the top? And do you think a wooden planter will be sufficient to keep them under control? If not then I suppose I could place plastic tubs within the planter itself. Many thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2018, 21:52 »
As others have mentioned, take very great care as to whether you get an invasive one - they really do have strong roots.  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 09:21 »
You could look at Nandina domestica.  Its also called Heavenly Bamboo, but it isn't actually a bamboo, its a shrub.  It grows to around 2m, is evergreen, has colourful leaves spring and autumn and white flowers in summer. 

You can buy them at quite decent sizes to start with if you look around.  I have one that was in a 10L pot when I got it and it grew quite fast to fence height. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 09:22 by New shoot »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2018, 10:14 »
I am sorry I cannot remember the name of my tub ones, they are bushy up to the top, however, I take all the bottom shoots and leaves out to about 2 to 2and half feet because then I can see the beautiful golden canes.
It looks very pretty.
I also have a Nandina. i think its commpn name is Chinese/sacred bamboo, the white flowers are on it now, but it doesn't make the lovely rustling sound.  Sorry I cannot remember the name - Wait, I have just found my personal garden book, where I have always written what I plant, so I've got it.

PHYLLOSTACHYS AUREA (Golden Bamboo or Fish Pole Bamboo.  to plant in a container use loam based potting ie: John Innes No 3.Apply balanced liquid fertiliser monthly.   Will grow 6 to 30 ft, wdth indefinite.
Shelter from cold winds.
I also have a different leaved one, I shall look further for it name ect.   Hope this helps.  regards Mrs Bouquet

Goosegirl

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2018, 12:12 »
Have just looked on-line and one of these might be what you want:-
https://www.charellagardens.co.uk/bamboo/
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 14:53 »
Oh GG, what a lovely grower that is, I have also found the name on it of my other one "P. Japonica"
So you have made me pleased to know that.  Its label has disintegrated, so I shall write another one and pop it in the trough.  thanks, regards Mrs B

xx
Bamboo for patio screening

Started by Jeebus on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 31, 2019, 12:18
by Jeebus
xx
Garden screening

Started by Alfie on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 23:01
by peterjf
xx
quick growing - evergreen - screening ??

Started by chopkins1313 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 18:41
by RichardA
xx
Plants for Screening off utility area

Started by nwalch on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 06:29
by Rangerkris

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 36 queries.