Growing > Grow Your Own

Watering tomatoes

(1/2) > >>

Tenhens:
Trying to judge how much to give to my toms , I have them growing in the 'Morrisons'  cut flower buckets with drainage holes about two inches from the bottom.  I have some one litre drink bottles that I have drilled two small holes approx 1-2 mm in the top and screwed back on  and have cut a filling hole in the bottom ( now the top)  I have partially sunk the bottle into the soil.  The plants are about three foot high, Moneymaker variety ,I think.   

Thoughts and suggestions most welcome , also hoping for some of the wet stuff ,  according to the weather man very little chance at the moment.  May have to start doing a rain dance!!! :lol: :lol:

Hampshire Hog:
Good question Tenhens!!
I have my tomatoes in growbags outside with the fancy watering circles in the bags.
Just delivered a small watering can ( 1 gallon ) to each of the growbags. Probably continue daily till drought finishes on Sunday with luck. Normally use water from my butt however that’s bone dry so I have resorted to mains water.

Keep praying for rain
Cheers HH

mumofstig:
I think they usually advise a litre a day, but of course it depends on the weather  ::)
When it is very hot you may have to water the pots twice a day, just go by how happy the plant looks and how dry the compost seems, or how heavy the pot is (if you can lift them..

JayG:
Aim to keep the compost consistently just moist (stick your finger in if you're not sure.)

Big swings in water availability are the main cause of blossom end rot, some varieties being more susceptible than others.

madcat:

--- Quote from: Tenhens on June 25, 2018, 20:02 --- May have to start doing a rain dance!!! :lol: :lol:

--- End quote ---

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!   Please don't!  Even though watering is a PITA ... 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version