Verbascum - What to do ?

• 2 Replies

mrs bouquet

Verbascum - What to do ?
« on: June 24, 2018, 13:58 »
I only have one, which should becoming beautiful, but it is covered is cabbage white caterpillars.  Never happened before.  I have tried to pick them off (ergh !)   then I gave it an insect spray (which I don't really like to do)   But there are now so many they are eating it all including the new flower shoots, What to do next please ??
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mrs bouquet

Re: Verbascum - What to do ?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 16:58 »
Just had a trawl around Google, and these caterpillar are Mullion Moths larvae.  I didn't know that Verbascum are also known as Mullion.  These creatures can go into the ground, where they can lay dormant for up to 4 years.   So instead if killing them.  I have picked them all off into a tray, and taken them outside onto the common opposite my house.  Apparently, they can strip Verbascum in a day or so.    I've done my bit now, so I shall just watch for any more.  regards  Mrs Bouquet

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Verbascum - What to do ?
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 09:34 »
I am glad you took that pragmatic approach with the caterpillars as Mullein Moths are not really that common. We grow a couple of plants just for them down on the plot, as the caterpillars get huge and are very attractive. Birds don't eat them as they are acrid in taste and let our nasty green "juice" when touched, which also puts off birds... or me from touching them, come to that!

We have Mullein in the front garden (unscathed) and passers-by often stop and look at them, as they are spectacular. Hope yours now flourishes!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

clip
Droopy verbascum

Started by Benny130 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 16, 2020, 17:59
by Benny130

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.