Unproductive fig tree up north

• 4 Replies

afcb

Unproductive fig tree up north
« on: March 27, 2018, 22:32 »
We are in Halifax and have a fig tree that has never produced more than 3 figs/year for four years, it lives on the windowsill facing southwest, should it be outside? In a pot or in the ground?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 17:26 by Yorkie »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Unproductive fig tree up north
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 17:28 »
Hi there

I've split your question off from the original thread as it's asking a slightly different question from the original thread, and will be easier to track for others.

Do you know what variety your fig is?  How big is it?  How are you pollinating the figs, if at all?

Most are supposed to be grown outside, with their roots restricted e.g. in a large pot that can be sunk into the ground, or in a pit that is lined e.g. with slabs.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

afcb

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2018, 17:57 »
Thank you, I'm unsure of the variety, it is a deep blue/purple fruit, it's a strange shape, like a T. The 2 branches are about 2' long, the pot is fairly small and never thought about it's pollination.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2018, 20:02 »
Should be outdoors and in general planted in something to limit the root growth, I am not sure how big or otherwise this needs to be. I would expect others have a better idea. The restriction of the roots causes the plant to fruit earlier in it's life.

Friend has a fig at the front of their garden, sort of part of an odd hedge they have managed to develop, or end up with.

Read up on which fruit you need to remove and leave on to overwinter. If I recall you remove the bigger ones and leave the smaller ones on - sort of non-standard idea. There is the possibility that you remove the wrong ones, and I think that leaving all on results in over numbers of fruit and that none fully develop. Friends never get any as the fig tree would seem more of a suitable tree/bush then a fig tree for the production of figs.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 19:18 »
I agree that, assuming it's a hardy variety (which we don't know for sure!), it should be outside.

Harden it off for a couple of weeks (acclimatise it gradually to being outside).

Have a look to see whether its roots are restricted or whether it's still got some growing room in the current pot.  Pot up if necessary.

Have a look at the main website for more info: Growing Figs - How to Grow Figs - Allotment & Gardens

xx
fig tree up north?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 23, 2018, 11:32
by makedoandmend
xx
Lemon tree up north

Started by mamalovesmambo on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post December 09, 2007, 21:35
by Cynara
xx
Fruit tree/plants for north facing wall

Started by moonrakermagpie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 08, 2010, 11:30
by SarahB
xx
Time to pull unproductive squash?

Started by Ethel on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 07, 2019, 18:24
by Ethel

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 35 queries.