Moss

• 3 Replies

Eblana

Moss
« on: March 25, 2018, 18:27 »
I am just back from the plot where I spent a pleasant couple of hours weeding.  I noticed that a couple of the beds have a good covering of moss on them (the back fruit bed in particular which can be very wet).  I am just wondering is this an indication that there is something i need to do to these beds or will they be ok?

oldgrunge

Re: Moss
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2018, 20:00 »
The presence of moss usually indicates an acidic soil with poor drainage.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 16:34 »
The most shaded part of my garden gets very little direct light at the best of times, and in winter next to none, so despite the soil being very light and well drained it gets quite mossy in winter.

If the moss doesn't disappear in the next few months it may be an idea to try to improve the drainage, and also test the pH.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Eblana

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 09:45 »
One of the beds looks like it might be blown in to it after the storm as it is all just little balls on top.  This bed is in full sun and is lovely and friable and I was able to hand weed it without any diffs.  The other bed is definitely a drainage issue as it has been virtually impossible to weed it due to its clagginess.  I have almost finished weeding it, it has all my blackberry and tayberries in it so digging/rotavating isn't really an option so I am going to try just mulching with sand/compost and manure and see does that make any difference.

xx
Not kate moss just moss

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2010, 19:02
by Christine
xx
Moss

Started by Deborah1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 01, 2017, 13:26
by Deborah1
xx
Moss ?

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 00:49
by viettaclark
xx
Moss

Started by Potty Plotty Lotty on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2018, 19:20
by Christine

Page created in 0.362 seconds with 35 queries.