Wood pellet cat litter

• 4 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Wood pellet cat litter
« on: March 23, 2018, 23:26 »
Hi folks, having lost a brother recently I’ve gained a cat.  I’ve settled on using wood pellet type cat litter which is supposed to be compostable.  However I’ve read that you shouldn’t use it in compost that is going to be used for veg growing so I’m wondering if it’s ok to be used as a mulch around fruit trees.  Or should I let it rot down first, keeping it separate from the normal compost?  Obviously all solids are removed!  It seems a shame to just bin it when it’s a natural product...thoughts welcome.  Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Wood pellet cat litter
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 23:46 »
I'd compost it separately and use it eventually in the flower garden, rather than the veg patch.

Toosje

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2018, 15:01 »
Depending on your compost system? If you let your compost for 3 years before using it, the wood will be broken down, but with a one year system it will probably still be visible.

I would compost it with the rest, chicken droppings and hemp cut from the coop. The hemp cut also needs more than one season, that's why I am thinking the wood will need more as wel, but maybe because it is falls apart in smaller bits, it will compost faster..

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 21:29 »
I would put small amounts in the compost but i expect you will get to much to just compost so use as a top dressing would be good or stack seperatly and put in the bottom of a bean trench in the autum
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 22:06 »
I wouldn't use it on compost for edible crops either, unless I was sure from proper scientific proof that any germs that the wood pellets may have been contaminated with would be broken down in the process - for example, "Oocysts [for the toxoplasmosis disease, passed in a cat's poo] are very resistant though and can survive in soil or water for up to 18 months or more." (https://icatcare.org/advice/cat-health/toxoplasmosis-and-cats)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Blackcurrant bush and pruning the old wood to leave the new wood

Started by zestymordant on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2012, 20:54
by VegGirl7
xx
slug pellet awareness

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 11:00
by Munchkin
xx
Slug Pellet Placement

Started by erainn on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 11:44
by prakash_mib
xx
chicken pellet ferteliser things

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 02, 2009, 11:33
by chili

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 36 queries.