peas

• 31 Replies

Eblana

Re: peas
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 16:06 »
How do I stop mice eating the seed.  Sowed two whole packs of seed in trenches last year and got 4 plants!!!  I  have just started some modules off in my warmish Green House (heated bench 8 x 3 which heats the whole greenhouse) and the damn mice have moved in there and decimated these as well.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 16:19 »
That's a few seed trays for a 36' row!  :ohmy:
Some of us like a few beans to add variety  :tongue2:
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 19:09 »
Eblana, we have a huge problem with mice & voles on our plots. I even remove the remains of the old "pea seed" before setting out the plants (same with beans)

I so far have kept them out of the greenhouse at home, but there are a couple of things you can try:
1. Mouse traps baited with peanut butter
2. Sprinkling strongly smelling oils such as tea tree on your modules
3. Chilli powder on the surface of the compost
4. Wiping "vicks" around the legs of your staging

Hope that helps a bit
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Eblana

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 19:13 »
Thanks Sunshine - I have the traps set up, I used chocolate spread and so far have caught 8 in a little over a week and a half.  Will try some of the other tricks.

victoria park

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 19:38 »
Here's a picture of my Spring "designer" peas that were overwintered, taken this morning in the cold greenhouse. A foot tall and just starting their "big leaves", and if you look, the greenhouse is built on a course of 8 inch breeze blocks. No meeces are going to bother to burrow underneath that, even if they knew anything was there in the first place.
I love my luxury crop of early peas, and the same with greenhouse carrots, weeks and weeks before the maincrops. There's something about a little care and effort that makes the humble pea a delight to eat in late April. Not many are required, maybe a hundred seeds, as this crop is grown for snacking on the plot.
2018peas.jpg

mandycharlie

• Experienced Member
    • Blossom and Sunshine
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 05:05 »
I don't faff about. When it's warmer - end of March/early April - I dig a ditch, throw them in, cover and leave. Can be doing with all this piddling about!

One has always admired your economy of actions Dave.  :)

Mr Dog

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 09:57 »
How do I stop mice eating the seed.  Sowed two whole packs of seed in trenches last year and got 4 plants!!!  I  have just started some modules off in my warmish Green House (heated bench 8 x 3 which heats the whole greenhouse) and the damn mice have moved in there and decimated these as well.

I use a method of my plot neighbour who  puts his peas in a carrier with some compost and hangs it up in the greenhouse to avoid the mice. Once they germinate they get thrown into a trench. Works pretty well.

Eblana

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 10:14 »
I use a method of my plot neighbour who  puts his peas in a carrier with some compost and hangs it up in the greenhouse to avoid the mice. Once they germinate they get thrown into a trench. Works pretty well.

Oh will give that a try. 

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 12:30 »
I don't faff about. When it's warmer - end of March/early April - I dig a ditch, throw them in, cover and leave. Can be doing with all this piddling about!

One has always admired your economy of actions Dave.  :)

You know me well!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Mr Rotavator

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 23:30 »
Snow day tomorrow so I have some time to get some sowing done. Peas, runners, sweetcorn and squashes are going in my empty seed trays that are crying out for something to be sown.

Sarcasm....... what's sarcasm?????

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2018, 09:08 »
Well, it made me LOL!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2018, 10:55 »
Snow day tomorrow so I have some time to get some sowing done. Peas, runners, sweetcorn and squashes are going in my empty seed trays that are crying out for something to be sown.
I know Weymouth has a lovely climate but isn't it a bit early for sweetcorn and squash?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2018, 12:54 »
I know Weymouth has a lovely climate but isn't it a bit early for sweetcorn and squash?

And runners! I visit Dorset quite a lot and would say that they're about 2-3 weeks ahead of me. I won't even start to think about these for another 6 weeks at least yet.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2018, 13:38 »
I assumed the sowing list was just for a laugh  :unsure:

victoria park

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2018, 10:40 »
I have a rather large African maize corn cob of dried seed that grows a good nine feet !
The seed was given to me by a plot neighbour and I have been informed it has a very long growing season and needs to be sown within the next week. Three inch pots, extra food and double insulation in greenhouse will have to be the way forward. May even need temporary cloches for a fortnight to help the hardenning off, not sure yet. Will be interesting, first time I've grown a forest.
As for my greenhouse peas, their growth has slowed down this last few days, so am hoping for a quick pick up in temperature. Probably have been put back ten days  :(
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 10:47 by victoria park »

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Peas

Started by chicken soup on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 08:28
by matron
xx
Peas over

Started by the Kergan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 31, 2012, 06:03
by Growster...

Page created in 0.33 seconds with 51 queries.