Eating and Drinking > Homebrew

Citric acid and other acid...

(1/2) > >>

Growster...:
We've been making a recipe of home-made red wine for well over forty years now, and since we've rationalised the recipe, I'm wondering if a reappraisal of the addition of acids needs to be taken into account.

The recipe is based on dried elderberries, dry cider, sugar, pectolase, acid and yeast. It was originally started by C.J.J.Berry, and is a great cheap and fast wine to make, as well as very easy. (The was a post here under the term ''Christleton').

We used to boil the hell out of the dried elderberries, but nowadays just add pectolase for twenty-four hours, then boil the sugar, add the cider and start a six gallon fermentation with super-yeast. It's usually ready in four weeks, but we do fine it to make sure there is no pectin haze lurking around.

But as we enter late middle age, the sharpness of the acid may be something to reconsider - I usually pop in about five small tsps.

Does the team think this may be too much - or little?

The different batches take on their own tastes and strengths, but the basic flavour remains the same!

Thoughts anyone?

grinling:
If finding the wine bland add more, but if too sharp add less

Growster...:

--- Quote from: grinling on February 22, 2018, 19:52 ---If finding the wine bland add more, but if too sharp add less

--- End quote ---

No two batches are the same Grinling.

Some mature well and retain a great vinosity, others go sharp and indigestible.

What's your view on adding acid later, after fermentation?

grinling:
you could do.I have been known to add lemon juice instead of citric acid. I also freeze elderberries before making wine and so sometimes more berries than needed.

AnnieB:
Is the sharpness caused by acid or tannin from the dried elderberries?
Find it a little odd that what is an an elderberry wine matures into drinkable so quick. Usually the tannin level means they have to sit for some time.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version