The not so keen on Christmas thread

• 23 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
The not so keen on Christmas thread
« on: December 24, 2017, 11:45 »
I'm fairly 'take it or leave it' with Christmas.  Its OK but I don't go overboard.  However, I know it is not everyone's favourite time of year, so this is a sanctuary thread.

If you are dreading tomorrow, its fine to say so and get it off your chest.  Its just a few days and we can all get back to gardening and all the other stuff we really do like talking abut  ;)

LILLILEAF

Re: The not so keen on Christmas thread
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 12:10 »
The only reason i like chrstmas time is i get 2 weeks off work,nice food to eat and a lay in,well till 7am better than getting up at 5am.
I can spend time with my husband and the dogs,i need to go through my seeds most inportant :lol:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 12:31 »
We're both retired so time off work is no issue.

On the whole I enjoy Christmas. Christmas Day at my daughter's house and then Boxing Day at my son's. They each have two small children, so that to me is what really makes Christmas enjoyable, no longer stressing out about Christmas meals. The pre-Christmas tension with all the present buying/wrapping, dragging the trees out of the loft, decorating and so on make me wonder about the ritual. My wife gets stressed about the whole affair and that rubs off on me too.

All in all, I'll be glad when it's over and we can return to normality

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 15:22 »
I like Christmas because there's a big kid in me that loves all the fairy lights and decorations. It's also a time to have a real good clean, polish all our horse brasses (how many are there STILL to do??) and suchlike. Once it's done everything sparkles! Trouble is although I start in late September I'm still doing things up until the last day because I want to get everything ready for the big day. The thing I hate about it is "It's Christmas so you have to do it!" Why? I don't particularly like writing Christmas cards, wrapping presents is a real pain as I always put the paper on the wrong way, cut it too short if the item has a slope on it, get the Sellotape crinkled or keep losing my pen or tags etc. If I lived on my own I would get as many fairy lights out and string them all over the rooms. Give money or vouchers as presents unless I saw something special for someone, and my meals would be what I fancied from the assortment of foodstuffs I'd recently bought as treats. I could even buck the trend and have a good make of baked beans on some lovely toasted bread spread with a good quality butter and watch my favourite DVDs!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 16:27 »
I'm relieved to find that it's not only me that's not a great fan of Christmas. Last year I was so tired and stressed I swore I would never do it again.......but........yes, I've been dragged into it again. So next year, without a doubt, and at the risk of sounding like Scrooge, I am not buying or sending any cards, I am not buying any gifts apart from the three little ones in the family, I am not going to bake as if we need to survive for the next three months without food, and I am not going to cook an elaborate meal on Christmas Day.
I will cook a nice lunch, and enjoy my family, which is what Christmas is supposed to be, surely?
I used to really look forward to it in my younger days, but now I just dread it.

Christine

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 17:04 »
Dunno about Christmas - got an email reminder to take a library book back on Wednesday this morning. Our library has an automatic system and it seems not to stop for holidays. Postman delivered a letter from the bank yesterday saying that it had raised some interest rates on savings accounts - but not on the one I have. And a rent statement from the social landlord the day before. Hmm - do I hear the sound of Christmas? Kinda puts you in the mood for festivities.

I'm with the could do baked beans on toast and go up the allotment to turn a compost heap but the forecast is for rain which is heavy in places most of the day. But the local family might be a bit peeved if I did. They think that they should look after their old parents and that we should all be festive. Huh.

And then there are the sales which seem to have already started in some cases. What Christmas?

oldgrunge

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 21:02 »
Neither my wife, nor I are keen on Christmas, as we feel it's really become "Crassmas" now. We are doing a sort of Christmas this year for our son and his girlfriend as they haven't had a Christmas for two years, as they've been working.
Next year, we may go to a country that doesn't celebrate it, or at least celebrates it very differently.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2017, 07:08 »
After a working life in the retail food trade, It made me so tired and grumpy that I hate all the fuss and cost of Christmas now.

This year I have got my excuse in early.......

Your Letter to Santa

Well, you knew that Christmas was coming,
And you knew what you wanted the most,
So you dashed off a letter to Santa, and,
Took it down to the box to post.

Now you'd think that the next part was easy.
And your letter would be processed quite fast,
By one of the army of helpers,
As has happened in Christmases' past.

But alas things are not quite that simple,
And your letter might get stuck in a jam,
For no longer are letters hand sorted,
And yours might just get treated as spam.

It's all due to privatisation.
Modernisation is here.
The service now run by robots,
Who can only read writing that's clear.

If the address is in capital letters,
Using black ink, and the envelope's white,
Then it might get directed to Santa's sack,
To be dispatched in the dead of the night.

But, if the writing is a little bit shaky, or,
The stamp is not in the right spot.
Maybe the envelope's crumpled, or,
Perhaps you have missed off a dot.

Then, your letter might just get rejected,
Pushed away to one side.
Stored a sack for resorting,
After the busy Christmastide.

But there is a way round your dilemma,
As to whether you letter gets there.
You can pay more than triple the postage,
And track it from your comfortable chair.

So, if you wake up Christmas morning,
Expecting something from me.
But your stocking is completely empty,
And there is nothing under your tree.

Don't have a moan at old Santa,
Or think that is me that's forgotten.
Just blame the new postal service,
For modernisation is rotten.

Merry Christmas Everybody.

© 2017 Tony R Turner (ARPoet)

Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2017, 13:07 »
Brilliant as usual! May I respond in kind as I've had two whiskies and water, feel in a creative mood, and it is honestly ad hoc!

'Tis the season to be jolly so fill up your trolley. Why?
It's the done thing. Why?
"Christmas is for children." Why?
Have to get the latest whatever but where's the money coming from?
Got enough turkey to feed a thousand! Why? Trying to get things right for THE BIG DAY?
Just stop spending like there's no tomorrow because you don't have to.

Have you no friends who don't care if there's dust on top of your picture frames?
After all your efforts is there nobody there to say "Good Job"?
Is it just you that feels tired and weary of all the ultra-naff commercial hype?

Who cares enough to call round to give you a big hug?
Who doesn't give a stuff if there's enough cat fluff on your sofa to fill several cushions?
Who only wants to make sure you are cared for.
Who doesn't need a present from you because she already has your friendship?
Toast your toes by her fire with a small sherry and a home-made mince pie
Then go home and be thankful you have finally understood what it's all about.
Even the poorest people always find something to give to those less fortunate than themselves.
Be grateful for what you have.
If you get that into your head you will be blessed with more than you will ever know.
To have a perfect Christmas it doesn't have to snow.

empty basket

al78

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2017, 15:21 »
Who cares enough to call round to give you a big hug?

Me, I love to give free hugs to women.  :D

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 19:39 »
spot on goosegirl

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 10:46 »
Thanks all. Just to add OH wasn't well on Christmas Eve feeling a bit flu-like, he was a bit better on Christmas Day but  now he's gone back two steps. I have been ok but am starting to feel the same. Thing is, when the chips are down we always work as a team. Everything we need is in the fridge, freezer, seal-wrapped or whatever so nothing's spoiling. He's the chef and I'm his washer-upper (with help from a table-top dishwasher) so together we'll have another lovely meal tonight then he'll make a broth in the slow-cooker from what's left. If we have to cancel going to our niece for a meal on Friday and also doing one for our family on New Year's Eve, does it really matter? OH has a lung disorder and there's no way he's going to put himself through all that! We can do it another time and enjoy it but, at the moment, we're going to put some logs on our coal fire then watch "Under Milk Wood" and some other DVDs.

oldgrunge

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 08:44 »
Sorry to hear, Gg. Look after your selves, and get well soon.

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 09:14 »
All over now and looking forward to Spring  :)
I usually cook the dinner at my DD who lives just around the corner my 3 grown up grand daughters mess around with their different devises so I take my tablet round ! this year a jigsaw was on the go (This big Grinch cannot bear jigsaws ) I happily endured the day with the help of choc and G&T and returned to my quiet tidy home around 10 pm.
Boxing day is driving 30 miles down the M5 to spend the day with my sons family, highlight here was a pre lunch walk along the beach ! Got fed and spent a relaxing day with my 2 younger G daughters and drove home in heavy rain but missed the snow by a few hours phew
I do disliked Christmas but what I good feeling that it is over  :lol: :lol:
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

rowlandwells

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 11:08 »
to me its all about spending time with ones family having a drink or tow or three enough said about that but I do think after Christmas I'm looking forward to the spring itchy feet tools at the ready polished the rotavator counted the packets of seed to se if I've got enough

looking at all the seed potatoes in the garden centres and yep its definitely beginning to look a bit like spring time apart from the sticky muddy mess that we call our allotment I keep saying spring is just around the corner but what corner :lol:

xx
Lost my thread

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post September 08, 2018, 10:24
by mrs bouquet
xx
The feel good thread

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

42 Replies
Last post February 08, 2021, 10:32
by New shoot
xx
Christmas already

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post September 18, 2021, 20:08
by jezza
xx
This Christmas, I got away with...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post December 29, 2019, 11:16
by erikaz1

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 51 queries.