Seaweed

• 15 Replies

jcbuz1970

Seaweed
« on: December 17, 2017, 12:05 »
Just off down to the beach with the dog and I'm going to collect some seaweed to use on my plot.
Anyone else use seaweed and how do you use it ? Dig it in fresh or dry, make a tea or just compost it?
Also are there any plants it's particularly good or bad for ?

Goosegirl

Re: Seaweed
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 12:44 »
Strictly speaking, you need permission from the landowners of the shore to gather seaweed so if you know who to ask, it's best to do that first. Usually people don't mind. As for how to use it, wash as much salt off as you can then either mix it in your compost bin or dig it in. It's very good for getting a soil in good health because it contains alginates that can  bind small particles of soil together. It also contains trace elements which is why many people buy the commercial product.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 13:02 »
Heligan gardens use it straight from the beach as a mulch (no washing)
The Lost Gardens of Heligan
scroll down to seaweed collection :)

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 13:49 »
Strictly speaking, you need permission from the landowners of the shore to gather seaweed so if you know who to ask, it's best to do that first. Usually people don't mind. As for how to use it, wash as much salt off as you can then either mix it in your compost bin or dig it in. It's very good for getting a soil in good health because it contains alginates that can  bind small particles of soil together. It also contains trace elements which is why many people buy the commercial product.
You can take what you like below the high tide line. Anything above is crown property and you would need to seek permission from the local council to remove it.
Gather as much as you can carry then dig it straight in or use as a much.
May the fork be with you

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 14:12 »
The legal situation is explained fully here
Is it legal to take seaweed from our beaches here in the UK? in Growing FAQs and other Information - Page 2 of 2

I'm not suggesting that you would be prosecuted for removing a carrier bag or 2 of seaweed - but you could be - unless you had asked first.

jcbuz1970

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 14:36 »
Cheers for the advice guys n gals, seems a very grey area and I suppose it depends a lot on where you're taking it from and how much you're taking.
I've emailed a council representative I know for clarification for taking seaweed from Roker beach in Sunderland, I'll let you all know what I find out.
Cheers again 👍👍

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 23:33 »
In rural areas people have been gathering it for centuries without any bureaucratic intervention. I've only been doing it for the last ten years or so but never had a problem. Town dwellers seem to have to put up with far more rules and regulations than us simple country folk....or perhaps we just take no notice of them.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 08:52 »
It's not a question of Town or Country rules, the Law applies to everyone -  and the forum can only advise the legal situation.
Note that I said
I'm not suggesting that you would be prosecuted for removing a carrier bag or 2 of seaweed - but you could be - unless you had asked first.
  Which of course only applies if someone sees you doing it   ::)
Re collection from Crown Estate areas
Collection for personal use does not require a licence and we are content for such collection to proceed for small quantities. We recommend anyone doing so takes account of environmental sensitivity of collecting anything from the wild.
which would apply to the area between Low and High water.
https://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/rural-and-coastal/coastal/seaweed-harvesting/

jcbuz1970

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 11:35 »
Cheers Mumofstig

Just need to find out if the area I want to collect from is Crown or private land,
Seems such a palava for a few bags of seaweed   ???

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 14:55 »
Unless the beach area is marked as private or MOD property any thing below the high tide line is for public harvest. Much discussion has been had regarding this from several sea fishing clubs that I belong to and WSFF (world sea fishing forum)
The other places to avoid are MCZ's Marine conservation zones. If in doubt re these contact the E nviromental agency.

jcbuz1970

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 15:16 »
Hi Shedmeister.
I believe that is true if that part of the shoreline is controlled by the Crown.
Up in my neck of the woods (Sunderland) it is the local authority that controls it.
After a call to them this morning I was told that they advise that nothing should be removed from the beach, she did give me her bosses Email address so he could answer more questions I had that she couldn't answer but up to now you are not allowed to remove seaweed from Roker beach Sunderland.
I think it wise to follow what most have said on here so far, get permission first...

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 20:50 »
Well, putting the whether you are allowed to take it or not to one side. I collect a big IKEA bag-full on my weekly visits if it's been washed up by the tide.
I don't wash it. I just try to spread it fairly systematically around the garden. I mulched the asparagus with it last week. It rots down pretty quickly, especially during the winter. I have no way of knowing for sure if it's any more beneficial than, say horse manure, but I've been doing this for the past 12 years so I'm pretty sure it must have had some effect (hope so, because sometimes the bags have been pretty heavy!)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 21:00 »
You may have very different laws where you are Deborah1, and yes,  it is supposed to be very good for veg, especially for asparagus - that's why Heligan collects it by the trailer load to use in the walled vegetable gardens :)

jcbuz1970

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 13:32 »
Had a response from our local authority on collecting seaweed from the shoreline in my area...

"Good morning Mr Conway
I understand seaweed is known to be an excellent fertilizer and nutrient fixer for gardens and allotments, and while 5 kilo in weight amount does not and would not make a great deal of difference. However the whole of the Sunderland coast line is protected by English, European and International legislation, protecting the coast line and the flora and fauna that chooses to use the area as a home. Bird spices such as Purple Sandpiper and Turnstone, two birds known to be in decline not only in our area, but nationally use the strandline (the area you would be collecting the seaweed) to feed. It is for this reason the Council could not condone any removal of the protected habitat.
As I have stated a 5 kilo bag would not make a slightest difference to this habitat, but if you do allow one and word spreads we would be in a difficult position to stop others from removing more.
I would like to offer my regards for your honesty in seeking permission in the first instance.
Have you considered growing Comfrey or planting mustard seed following your harvest, as both offer a good alternative to seaweed.
Kind regards
Coastal Ranger
Conservation Team
Planning and Regeneration
Economy and Place Management
Civic Centre
Sunderland
"

Oh well, looks like i will have to find an alternative.
Pleased i asked first though  ;)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 13:33 by jcbuz1970 »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 13:37 »
Thanks for letting us know their reply - it just isn't as straightforward as some people think, unfortunately  :(

xx
Seaweed meal V calcified seaweed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 22:25
by Trillium
xx
Seaweed

Started by Kumfy on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 29, 2011, 21:28
by Springlands
xx
Seaweed

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post September 25, 2014, 08:09
by Kristen
xx
seaweed

Started by sonnycbr on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post December 22, 2009, 20:28
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 51 queries.