Speeding fine vs Speed awareness course

• 31 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Speeding fine vs Speed awareness course
« on: November 17, 2017, 16:44 »

I got clocked speeding by a mobile camera a couple of weeks ago doing 40mph in a 30mph zone

It seems I can attend a 4-hour Speeding Awareness Course at a cost of £92 and get no points on my licence or pay £100 fine and get three points. As my licence is clear and has been for the majority of the 55 years i've held it, I see the course attendance issue as 4 hours of my time to save £8, the 3 points being immaterial.

Has anyone else on here gone through this decision-making process and would they like to share their thoughts on this matter, please?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Speeding fine vs Speed awareness course
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 17:06 »
Your insurance premium will certainly rise if you have 3 points on your licence, which have to be declared.
Admiral still regard it as a notifiable offence even with no points, so read any insurance schedule/quote form very carefully before deciding.

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 20:23 »
This will be no help (and not sure if someone was telling porkies) but....... a friend of ours went on a visit to one of the centres that do those courses organised by his local IAM group. They were told that a few weeks before someone on the course had found more hazards in the final 'test' than the official figure (virtually everyone finds fewer). They said they thought he must have been pressing the record button randomly so asked him if he minded doing it again - he came up with the same score so they then asked him to go through the test again explaining what he could see. Turned out he was a retired Met Police driving instructor.....

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 20:38 »
I went to the course, it made me more aware of the dangers of going too fast & potentially hurting someone.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 21:32 »
No personal experience of taking this alternative (not saying I've never been done for speeding though  :blush:) but I can say that getting even 3 speeding points on your licence will be far more costly insurance-wise in the long term.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 22:30 »
Most people I know who have gone on the course have found it of some value.  To me it's a no brainer.  Keep a clean licence and probably become a better driver.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 23:02 »
Most people I know who have gone on the course have found it of some value.  To me it's a no brainer.  Keep a clean licence and probably become a better driver.

Yes that’s what I was trying to say but you said it sooo much better lol

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 23:43 »
I went on the course and found I learned quite a  lot as well as becoming more speed-aware
ManicMum

rogerbodger

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 08:20 »
A couple of years ago my wife did the course simply to avoid getting points on her licence, she went along with a fairly closed mind, simply to tick the box and get it over and done with. She came away with a totally different attitude, having learnt a few things, and stating that everyone should do the course as it is so valuable. From her experience, I would certainly choose the course instead of the points.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2017, 14:43 »
A couple of years ago my wife did the course simply to avoid getting points on her licence, she went along with a fairly closed mind, simply to tick the box and get it over and done with. She came away with a totally different attitude, having learnt a few things, and stating that everyone should do the course as it is so valuable. From her experience, I would certainly choose the course instead of the points.

That is how I approached the course as well, but came away amazed at how few people actually knew the speed limit of various vehicles on different roads... quite worrying... and determined to be a safer driver myself
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

arh

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2017, 15:35 »
As an ex long haul Truck Driver, (with no points on my licence), though having paid a "few" euro/lira/francs etc. my advice is to swallow your pride, take the course, and learn from the experience.

grinling

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2017, 15:49 »
whatever you decide you have to inform your insurance company, the rules changed.

We get people speed through the village, 2 blind bends and children crossing for the school bus.

People say I can do 10% over....a friends daughter was killed at age 13 by someone driving at 33 mph.

Pescador

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2017, 19:57 »
Definitely do the course, it made me a better, safer driver. (and journeys only take a couple of minutes longer, if at all)
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2017, 20:09 »
The annoying thing about it is that I've had a licence for 55 years and this is only my second offence, the last one was 23 years ago. To be truthful, I thought I was obeying the speed-limit but this particular stretch of road changed from a 40 to a 30mph limit a couple of years ago and I was just one in a stream of traffic

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 15:13 »
Done the course twice  (both for 34 mph in a 30 mph zone, due to the power of my old 1.4 diesel Ford Fiesta), found both useful, not least finding out the national speed limit on A roads was 60 and not 50 as I had thought, my friend also attended the course some time later but got caught speeding on the way. some people never learn

xx
Wales Speed Limit

Started by AndyRVTR on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post September 18, 2023, 20:29
by Yorkie
xx
Speeding up Spring's arrival

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post January 27, 2019, 16:50
by Veg Plot 1B
xx
Breast cancer awareness week.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post July 04, 2019, 19:07
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 53 queries.