Top Soil and Plastic Dustbins

• 4 Replies

Batesy

Top Soil and Plastic Dustbins
« on: November 09, 2017, 15:25 »
I've only had my allotment for just over a week and already friends and family have started to offer me things that may come in handy.

First, I've been offered about 10x 40l bags of topsoil. I was planning on creating a raised bed at some point so would this be of any use for that?

Secondly someone has offered me a black plastic 80l dustbin with holes drilled in the bottom and no lid. Would this be suitable for making leafmould? Or shall I just use it to grow some carrots or potatoes in?

Christine

Re: Top Soil and Plastic Dustbins
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 16:20 »
Don't know what the topsoil is like - a raised bed would be a good place for it. If you do the raised bed and put the topsoil in it you can see what it's like over winter - clay and apt to hold water, sandy and drains too much. That way you have the chance to add compost to lighten the clay or as much humus and manure as possible if it's sandy.

So long as you raise the bin off the ground (any old bricks will do) you can use it for leafmould if you can find something to act as a cover (one or two of those bags of top soil when empty). Or you can use it as a compost bin with a cover (those bags again) in which case there is no need for the bricks.

Or you can put the soil you have offered given in it and grow things in it.

;) Whatever choice is easiest for you

Mr Dog

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 19:13 »
Might be worth checking your site's rules on topsoil - not allowed to bring it on (or take it off) where I am.

Personally I'd grow carrots, and other roots, in the bin.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 19:23 by Mr Dog »

Dantheman

• Experienced Member
  • :) :) :)
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 20:09 »
Collect as much free stuff as you can to start with it's amazing what you build with it or use it.
Dear God, Please can you stop the wind and rain and bring on the nice weather. Amen

Batesy

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 11:58 »
Thanks for the replies. I will check the rules regarding the top soil. I think I'm going to use the bin to grow something in, as leaf mould can be stored easily elsewhere, and I intend to extend the existing compost area made from pallets.

I do like the fact that my allotment is already preventing a few things from being chucked into landfill.

xx
Help please newbit here lol, soil drying out quickly in 'plastic' greenhouse

Started by blackcat on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 13:28
by Aunt Sally
xx
Potatoes in dustbins

Started by Petediscord on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 11, 2007, 12:05
by Petediscord
xx
Are dustbins any good for growing spuds in?

Started by Kagganz on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 17:34
by happy chick
xx
GROWING POTATOES IN STANDARD SIZE BLACK DUSTBINS!!

Started by jazzbyrd on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 13:30
by cAnAry53

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 35 queries.