Still no decision by the EU

• 13 Replies

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
Still no decision by the EU
« on: November 09, 2017, 14:01 »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41928007

So the EU still can't make up it's mind on glyspohate even though the deadline fast approaches.
The question I have, is what will we be able to use as gardeners if it is banned?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Still no decision by the EU
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 16:07 »
what will we be able to use as gardeners if it is banned?
Probably just a hoe  :unsure:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 16:13 »
...and only a Dutch hoe at that.  :wacko:  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 16:22 »
Unless it is a Chillington one  ;)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 17:08 »
beer  ;)
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

engineer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2017, 17:18 »
Flame gun?

rowlandwells

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2017, 19:33 »
already bought my roundup in anticipation of a ban  enough to last me many years so no worries  ;) i love my roundup it keeps my plots especially round the fences where i cant use the hoe clean and tidy all season

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2017, 19:55 »
already bought my roundup in anticipation of a ban  enough to last me many years so no worries  ;) i love my roundup it keeps my plots especially round the fences where i cant use the hoe clean and tidy all season
Ditto

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2017, 01:25 »
Our allotment association sells neat glysophate so I have already stocked up ready. I only use it for clearing patches I don't intend to grow in straight away, but it really does feel like the last gardeners' weapon is about to go.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2017, 07:45 »
Our allotment association sells neat glysophate so I have already stocked up ready. I only use it for clearing patches I don't intend to grow in straight away, but it really does feel like the last gardeners' weapon is about to go.
Yes. I don’t use it for my growing area, just the paths that have huge weeds growing through the gaps.

victoria park

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2017, 11:46 »
I've always managed my plot without weedkillers, and it is eminently possible. A little bit more work, and it probably means I move my paths from time to time, as I dig out large deep weeds, but that's no bad thing.
Sadly, a few of us allotmenteers need protecting from ourselves and I can understand why many products are only available to those who supposedly are trained in their use. I wince when I see the carpets of blue slug pellets surrounding a few seedlings.
I manage our site shop and will probably stock up with a bit extra for those that want to use the glyphosate, but we do sell less and less these days. I suspect the possible europe wide ban involves wider across the pond high politics.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2017, 11:55 »
I've always managed my plot without weedkillers, and it is eminently possible. A little bit more work, and it probably means I move my paths from time to time, as I dig out large deep weeds, but that's no bad thing.
Sadly, a few of us allotmenteers need protecting from ourselves and I can understand why many products are only available to those who supposedly are trained in their use. I wince when I see the carpets of blue slug pellets surrounding a few seedlings.
Unfortunately some of us older people are unable to move paving slab paths to dig out weeds. I prefer to enjoy my time at the plot, not nurse an aching back, sore knees and swollen hands.

victoria park

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2017, 14:19 »
I know what you mean Plotmother, I suffer from gout of the feet and a worsening RA, one of the reasons I keep away from anything that might be considered a contaminant. I suppose we all make our personal decisions  and get on with it.

Acctually there's just been a new study showing almost a doubled incidence of rheumatoid arthritis in the spouses of authorised glyphosate users. However, in sheep, early exposure to the weedkiller as very young animals may actually make their immune system better able to fight arthritis in sheep. Interesting things, bodies and auto immune systems.
http://www.gmwatch.org/en/news/latest-news/17022-glyphosate-link-with-rheumatoid-arthritis-shown-in-new-study

Anyway, it seems the ban won't happen, as according to greenpeace, the EU is just going through the motions of member state routine voting for an effective ban, before it actually uses it's Commission constitutional right regardless to push through a new licence period for glyphosate in due course. High politics indeed.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2017, 16:15 »
You have to do what you feel is best for you.

there is 95% probability that exposure to that pesticide actually does raise the risk of rheumatoid arthritis by between 1 time (no effect) and 2.1 times – as opposed to the possibility that the effect is due to chance.....
Conclusions: Our results suggest that specific agricultural pesticides, solvents and chemical fertilizers may increase risk of RA in women,
(My bold)

So there is a 95% probability that there is somewhere between zero and 2.1 risk..... so they're really sure about that aren't they  :lol:
I'm sorry but the report appears to me to be making something out of nothing, considering that it's on anti-Monsanto website.

But I'll lock the thread before the thread gets too argumentative as they always do on the subject  :nowink:
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 16:15 by mumofstig »

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 37 queries.