last of this year's toms

• 8 Replies

solway cropper

last of this year's toms
« on: November 05, 2017, 23:27 »
Well, that's the last of this year's toms gone into a lunchtime sandwich. My nine plants in the greenhouse have given me 26kg of ultra fresh, tasty, organic fruit over a four month period. How much would that have cost in a supermarket?? The downside is that if I fancy a tomato now I'll have to buy one.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: last of this year's toms
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:53 »
I know the feeling. Last cucumber has just gone under the knife. :(
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 06:52 »
Know the feeling, my last cucumber was used up in the week, I’ve got a few tomatoes finishing off ripening,but bought some more for a meal on Friday,even though they were vine ripened they just aren’t the same are they
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 09:19 »
Picked the last of the Mountain Magic  outdoor tomatoes at the weekend.  They have outlasted the greenhouse tomatoes by about three weeks, so I have no complaints and will grow them again next year.

victoria park

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 16:52 »
Well done everyone. Mine are about the same, but still have some green ones I'll leave for a while before I bring them in. Might even let the flowers and miniatures tarry a while LOL. Lowest temp so far down here has been 5.5 degrees in the insulated greenhouse, with 20 odd during the daylight. Only cherry sungolds left, but either end of the season is one reason I grow the cherries as they ripen so quickly. A bit of fleece will keep them warmed up and might just get another 3 weeks worth.

I've found myself seasonally not buying shop tomatoes in the Winter and just using the frozen sauces for cooking. Maybe a couple of fresh pounds of toms all winter. I sort of like the seasonality thing these days, and the shop ones really are a disappointment. Never thought I would be so precious.

oldgrunge

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 17:49 »
Still got two Sungold plants producing in the greenhouse, grown from side shoots. Last cucumber used last week. Soon, if I want tomatoes, it'll be the red tasteless round things!
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 20:16 »
I picked the last (single ) tomato from the conservatory this morning and cleared the plant this afternoon.  Sure it would have gone on longer if there hadn't been a hiccup a few weeks ago when it was neglected for the best part of 3 weeks.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 22:56 »
Cleared our plants last week after a reasonably successful season , the enjoyment of picking a tomato straight from the plant on a sunny day , or if the heavens have opened , is one of the many pleasures of home growing.

Looking forward to next year already.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 08:53 »
I've found myself seasonally not buying shop tomatoes in the Winter and just using the frozen sauces for cooking. Maybe a couple of fresh pounds of toms all winter. I sort of like the seasonality thing these days, and the shop ones really are a disappointment. Never thought I would be so precious.

Just come back from a long weekend in Hastings where we stayed in a hotel and treated ourselves to the full English breakfast, complete with a commercial grilled tomato (my first tomato of the season not grown by me.) I wouldn't say it was tasteless, because it did taste of something, but it definitely wasn't tomato!

At least 20 portions of tomato sauce in my freezer to look forward to (all including the inevitable courgette pieces :lol:) - I will be very reluctant to buy any fresh ones from the shops, although some of the cherry varieties can be more or less OK...  :unsure:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

clip
Last year's toms...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 11:33
by Growster...
xx
stronger than last year Toms but why the same problems

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 23:44
by Stree
xx
Best Year ever for Toms and Peppers despite the weather ??

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 19, 2008, 19:29
by FCG
xx
Preparing to grow toms after blight last year?

Started by mickwood on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 04, 2010, 15:55
by DD.

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 38 queries.