New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Hello, From Herts

• 4 Replies

Barry67

Hello, From Herts
« on: October 23, 2017, 13:41 »
Hi,

My wife and i recieved the keys to our allotment two months ago, but i have not done very much with it untill last week. Main reason i have been getting over an illness the treatment of which has, zapped my stamina. I am currently taking things slowly, its a large plot with 7 poles and another part of about 3 poles added on. Its a little overgrown with grass, but i am going to install rasied wooden beds to help with maintenance later on. Its got a good few fruit bushes blackberries, raspberries, but the frames that support them are all rotten i will need to rebuild them, it comes with an old shed thats has seen better days, a hedghog however has been known to overwinter in it. I shall be careful if thats the case.. I have very little knowledge, but i am a reasonable learner and looking forward to learning a lot from this site.

Thank you in advanced for the help  ;)                     

snowdrops

Re: Hello, From Herts
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 16:47 »
Hello Barry & welcome to the site. Slow & steady is the order of the day, particularly in your case but is usually recommended to newbies. Try to cover some of your ground to suppress the weeds, excluding light encourages them to die, cardboard, black polythene or better still weed membrane ( you can use it again & again if you get the woven type). If you have raised beds in the future you could use it for the paths &cover with wood chips to make sevicable paths.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 20:06 »
Hi Barry and welcome  :)

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 23:08 »
Hello and welcome Barry

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 13:44 »
Hello Barry, and welcome to the Forum. Good to hear you are on the mend and able to work on your new plot now. :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Page created in 0.142 seconds with 37 queries.