Chatty or not?

• 9 Replies

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
Chatty or not?
« on: October 03, 2017, 21:45 »
I'm not that chatty nowadays but remember my mother saying I could talk the hind legs off a donkey! Whatever that meant. Also remember at senior school having to do this line endlessly as a punishment!

"I must endeavour to curb my tendency to disrupt the atmosphere of the classroom by my incessant talking." Write that at least 100 times and hopefully you'll get the message!

Anyone else who was "rather verbose" as a child/teenager?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 21:48 by Val H »
Val
Recipes Galore!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Chatty or not?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 21:57 »
Dad was chatty  :) but Mum often used that famous phrase - children should be seen but not heard, or even more worrying - shut your mouth before I shut it for you!  :ohmy:

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 22:00 »
I seemed to have something called My Five Eighths, which my Dad often referred to, as in "Putting in your five eighths again" 😵😵

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 22:17 »
I've heard of putting in your five penn'orth (voicing your own opinion/winding things up ::)) but not five eighths?
A new one to me ..

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:56 »
All my school reports allude to my chatty nature. While I still managed to get my work done toa a very high standard I'm afraid the poor people I chatted to were not so lucky.

I drove one primary teacher to such distraction she put tape on my mouth 😂😂

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 10:25 »
Not chatty as such, but as a youngster I certainly possessed the unfortunate combination of a fondness for schoolboy humour together with a significant inability to judge when to keep my gems of wit to myself.

When I was about 9 our teacher was reviewing our art efforts in class. She pointed out that many of our landscapes consisted almost entirely of straight lines, and that there are hardly any straight lines in nature.

For what I hoped was for the amusement of my classmates only I whispered the word 'breasts' as a helpful example of what she was describing, but unfortunately she overheard me and marched me outside into the corridor.

She was a large lady, not lacking in the anatomical features I had just mentioned, and I was pinned against the wall and made to repeat the word several times, presumably in an attempt to get it out of my system forever.

(It didn't work!  :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2017, 21:04 »
Not chatty as such, but as a youngster I certainly possessed the unfortunate combination of a fondness for schoolboy humour together with a significant inability to judge when to keep my gems of wit to myself.

When I was about 9 our teacher was reviewing our art efforts in class. She pointed out that many of our landscapes consisted almost entirely of straight lines, and that there are hardly any straight lines in nature.

For what I hoped was for the amusement of my classmates only I whispered the word 'breasts' as a helpful example of what she was describing, but unfortunately she overheard me and marched me outside into the corridor.

She was a large lady, not lacking in the anatomical features I had just mentioned, and I was pinned against the wall and made to repeat the word several times, presumably in an attempt to get it out of my system forever.

(It didn't work!  :lol:)

Can you remember any of your school boy humour?

I'm assuming you worked out , or someone else worked out that to get the teacher out of the class room , you knew what to do.    Leaving a class of children unattended , mm?? :unsure: :unsure:
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

grinling

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 09:44 »
I was chatty and my daughter will chat about all sorts of things. I will chat to people I meet, she hates that.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 11:53 »
I always was, but learned very quickly that such attributes can lead to boredom for others...

Luckily, in the village, I can chat to almost everyone, except of course the ones I don't really want to converse with for the above reason!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 12:56 »
Defo not chatty, more so when it came to French.
Funny story.
My then French teacher said to me as I wasn't really ggod at french "Why do not try and learn this language"?
My reply "I dont like France, dont like the French so why must I learn something I do not like and have no intention of using"?

Didnt go down to well  :lol: :lol:

Several decades later and that french teacher came into our practice for her eye exam, we got chatting about varous bits and then I said, you were my french teacher, to which she asked when etc, as I started to say you once asked me why I do not try to learn french? She came back with my reply and laughed, she remembered me all these years and we laughed it off, then she said do you still not like France and the french, I replied, I like the northern french but hate the southern french, and we laughed again.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:57 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 38 queries.