Tree for indoor shade

• 4 Replies

rowe1311

Tree for indoor shade
« on: September 17, 2017, 22:46 »
I am looking to see if I can grow a tree in a pot in full shade.  We have an entrance way to a courtyard garden in our church that is needing some greenery to soften the brick work.  This weekend we had a festival and I brought in lots of cut flowers and foliage to brighten the space which looked great, but it made me realise how lovely it would be to have a tree in that space, but I have no idea whether it is possible. 

It is pretty dark and dingy.  I tried growing ferns in pots but they suffered but that might have been due to neglect rather than poor conditions, but I would love something that is more upright and taller than the ferns I have grown.  I would love something like a tree fern but know this is impractical as it too dry a space and far too expensive.   Something that has interesting bark (like dogwood or willow), can tolerate full shade, and has nice upright structure, and copes with neglect would be great.  I know am enthusiastic now, the chances are, like with all container plants I don't always give them the care they need and so it can't be too fussy.

I have added some pictures to show you the space.  I am looking to grow something on the left which will get more light, and something on the right which gets less but the wall has been painted white so it is a bit brighter now. 

image86.jpg
DSCN1634.JPG

Mum2mj

Re: Tree for indoor shade
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 13:15 »
I have a North facing garden and needed something on my balcony that would work in pots, in shade, evergreen and ok in exposed positions as I'm high up!  I went for laurel - cheap, looks after itself and tolerates shade.  You could print to the shape you wanted.  I got 4 good sized plants for £5 each

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2017, 17:49 »
I know its not a tree but bamboo can be tall, evergreen and shade tolerant.

rowe1311

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 20:32 »
I love the thought of bamboo and then had a look at what its requirements are, and to grow tall it needs a little bit of light, so maybe laurel seems a safer bet. 

It wouldn't be my first choice of plant but when I looked at how it can thrive on neglect it might be a winner and especially if I can shape it when it gets bigger.  Are there any particular laurel plants that do well in full shade? 

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2017, 21:18 »
You can get spotted laurel but I don't know it's requirements
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Indoor Veg and Fruit??

Started by SG6 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post February 23, 2009, 08:34
by horsepooisgood
xx
indoor orchids

Started by muckyboots on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 08:50
by sunshineband
xx
Indoor Plant Food

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post January 16, 2020, 12:23
by mrs bouquet
xx
Indoor Decorative Flower Pots

Started by Jaye on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2008, 12:54
by Earwen Telemnar

Page created in 0.239 seconds with 36 queries.