Chatting > Design and Construction

Building own polytunnel

(1/2) > >>

Longshanks:
I'm putting together the bits required for a 6x3 metres ish polytunnel, but I'm not sure what to use for the plastic sheeting as I don't want to spend a fortune. I am considering a few translucent tarpaulins for a tenner each. Will they work?

snow white:
tbh they wont last a season.  False economy on this will be more expensive in the long run.  Probably cost you £40-50 for proper stuff.   it is a faff to put it on and you really do not want to do it every year.

Longshanks:
Sorry for late reply, but I was doing some investigation. The tarps wouldn't work and would be more expensive than £50, so thanks for making me look.

I know how to build the frame and sling the plastic over, but not sure how to keep it tight. If I dig a trench at the side of the polytunnel, bury the end of the plastic and then pull over the top and then bury the other end, do I need some sort of fixing at the top or down the sides? I didn't think screwing through the plastic would be a good idea.

mumofstig:
Some people screw through the plastic and battens at the bottom, some people just bury the edges

This might help
http://www.overthegardengate.net/UserPages/pp_view.asp?FName=polytunnel&Page=3

wapello:
As said false economy, phone a tunnel supplier ask about the poly, and want and they will pull it off the roll and post it to you, it costs what it costs at least you know you have the right poly for the job, good luck with it,,,

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version