Harvest stashing mode engaged

• 7 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Harvest stashing mode engaged
« on: August 09, 2017, 20:45 »
We've hit the tipping point in my house when I can't eat or freeze everything heading to the kitchen, so some more serious preserving is in order.

The dehydrator has done a batch of french beans and tomato slices and is currently working on more tomatoes, chillies and some lemon and garlic flavoured courgette chunks.

I've made 4 jars of pickled cukes and am eyeing up the rest of the jar stash.

Its on folks ...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Harvest stashing mode engaged
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 20:51 »
I am awash with the early plum tomatoes and my Maslin pan and biggest saucepan are bubbling away atm  :D
Have to get them out of the way, cos all the red peppers are ripening quickly and will need dealing with shortly  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:56 »
cos all the red peppers are ripening quickly and will need dealing with shortly  ::)

Nosy face  :lol:  How are you doing yours?  I'm researching recipes for bottling in oil and vinegar, but I want to keep them out of the fridge if possible, so I will need to water bath them.  Confuzzled by conflicting info at present and I know you made some good 'uns last year  :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:08 »
A question for you New Shoot about Runner beans. Have you every dehydrated these, and if so how did you cu them up please?

Also looking forward to another Pepper in Oil style recipe (MoS  :D) as last year whilst mine were a success eating-wise, they had to live in the fridge, so.......

.... I await with interest  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 11:04 »
A question for you New Shoot about Runner beans. Have you every dehydrated these, and if so how did you cu them up please

No but I cut up and blanch the french beans I do.  I just cut them into small sections.  Long strings of stuff tends to curl in the dehydrator.  Not really an issue to using them later, but makes them difficult to get into jars.

They become a cupboard staple over the winter for slow cooker meals.  Cooked slowly with stock and other veg (dried or fresh), plus meat if you want it, they make a great base to stews, chillies and curries.  I just add tomato sauce, curry base or whatever about halfway through the day.

Beans with spicy tomato sauce makes a lovely side dish as well  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 12:31 »
It's a bit rough and ready but the Greek pickling liquid 'recipe' I have written down for Giardiniera and peppers is -

For each 500ml jar:
2 teaspoons of sugar
1 teaspn of sea salt (any salt without additives is ok)
A slice or 2 of garlic
A tablespoon of olive oil.
water/vinegar mix is 2/3 water to 1/3 vinegar

You can use this over small snack sized peppers or quartered large peppers (skins and seeds removed) or for Giardiniera - mixed end of season veg, eg sliced carrots, peas, small or sliced onions, green beans, cherry toms, peppers, chillies, cauliflower.
Pack prepped veg into sterilized jars, add water/vinegar mix then oil to almost fill. Poke with knife to remove any air bubbles.
Screw on lids and waterbath for 20mins.

These should be ok for long-term storage but are usually gone by the end of Feb here  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 13:34 »
ooh! Two new things for me to do!

Thank you, New Shoot re the runner beans. I hadn't thought of blanching them first. I'll be onnit this afternoon. Be nice to have something extra to ad to curries in the Winter  :D :D :D

And MoS that looks similar to the recipe I lost some years ago, except mine had no garlic in it. I couldn't remember the proportions... this is one reason I now store favourite recipes on my blog, so I can find them again!! Thank you very much indeed. Really glad I have quite a few decent sized jars from my DIL, as I shall need them I think  :D :D :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 20:52 »
The dehydrator is off again with french beans, garlic and lemon courgette chunks, tomato slices and huaunzontle.  Mine is a beast of a thing with 5 huge trays so I can get loads in - just as well  :lol:

I have started some raspberry vodka as well.  My recipe calls for layering rasps and sugar in a jar, fermenting for 6 weeks, straining and then mixing with vodka.  It gave me a chance to try one of my new jars.  Kilners with plastic lids and an air lock  8)  I'm contemplating trying kimchi later in the year, so got a set of 3 of these.

IMG_2329 (480x640).jpg

xx
1st harvest of the year in the dehydrator

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

111 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 19:46
by Madame Cholet
cheesy
Szechuan pepper harvest 2018

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

9 Replies
Last post February 10, 2019, 22:02
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 36 queries.