Anyone else growing Roma VF plum tomatoes?

• 23 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Anyone else growing Roma VF plum tomatoes?
« on: July 22, 2017, 09:50 »
First time in the GH with these - am growing them as per instructions as determinate (bush) plants, and so far there is a great deal of lush foliage, not that many flowers, and only one actual tomato. The other tomatoes are cordons (Sweet Million and Gardener's Delight) and are all producing well, although only a few ripe ones so far.

Are Roma a bit 'later' than other types, because I'm starting to think that the 'VF' stands for 'very foliagy'?!
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Anyone else growing Roma VF plum tomatoes?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 10:24 »
Having similar problems here. Looks like being a very low yield compared to Shirley, Moneymaker and etc grown as cordons

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 20:28 »
Are Roma a bit 'later' than other types, because I'm starting to think that the 'VF' stands for 'very foliagy'?!

Most of the plum types I've tried in the GH were very much like that - roma VF included. They're late, put on huge amounts of green for just a few fruit and all ripen at the same time.  I had a little more success with them outside, smaller plants etc but being late many got caught with blight before ripening.

Sparkyrog

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 23:01 »
Roma are a cooking tom ,so can be late ! A better alternative is San Marzano ,tends to crop heavier and has a real nice Italian flavour .
I cook therefore I grow

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 08:12 »
Thanks for the replies. I have grown Inca F1 plum tomatoes in the GH in previous years, and got a decent crop despite them having a slight tendency to develop BER unless I took great care with watering.

The lack of fruit on the Roma only became obvious when I started thinning out the jungle of leaves - not much else I can do than be patient and hope they eventually decide to deliver the goods, although it's not helpful when at least one website describes it as a cordon type!

http://www.marshalls-seeds.co.uk/tomato-seeds-roma-vf-seeds-plum-cordon-pid9356.html

lettice

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 09:13 »
I've grown Roma in the past, they grow fine without problems but the yield per plant is not that great.
I grow San Marzano, which produces a very high yield and they make the best tasting tomato for cooking, sauces and paste.
I always grow mine outside alongside my Marmande in pots.

compostqueen

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 12:04 »
I have Roma on the go and San Marz. Some good results so far. The SAns are big and the Roma seem plentiful to me
I have been eating the Roma for over a week.  I grow the Roma as the seeds come free with the KG mag
Growing St Pierre and Tigerella too  :tongue2:  The tigerella were first to ripen but last to be sown, so quite pleased with that    :D

grinling

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2017, 20:53 »
I've grown them as a cordon, didn't know not to, and got lots.
Weather this year has had a knock on affect for the tomatoes

Chrysalis

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2017, 16:57 »
I'm with compostqueen!  Lots of fruit as well as greenery.  Roma and San Marzano.  Yum.  Best year for ages.  Using those watering pots for growbags, but on top of and bedded into the soil.  Really easy to feed and water.  Cucumber and pepper ditto.

I gave them a tough time early on to make the plants strong and it seems to have worked.  The Roma are later than the SM, but cropping well now.

Digger the Dog

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 04:37 »
10 Roma in pots in the GH, new compost and all planted at the same time and size. Only one plant has any tomatoes

Digger the Dog

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 18:08 »
Just to add - our packet of seed came from Country Value of Newmarket

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 21:06 »
Much lower yield than my regular Moneymaker, Alicante and Shirley plants. Messy to grow too as they aren't cordon types. Slightly different taste but nothing to make me grow them again

LILLILEAF

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 05:53 »
Luckily i only grew 2 roma plants,both of which grew blind,1 had 1 tomato and the other has about 5,they had very good foliage.I will not be doing these again poor result.
All the other plants of which i have grown 5 different types,have done much better.

Digger the Dog

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 09:46 »
So going on from this, Roma are supposed to be the best tomato for bottling/canning?

So, if not Roma, what should I use as a variety?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 12:03 »
So going on from this, Roma are supposed to be the best tomato for bottling/canning?

I think you'll find that all the tinned tomatoes you buy are San Marzano, a cordon type, but it's difficult to grow them outside, but with sufficient watering you can grow them in a greenhouse or polytunnel.
Others to try are Rio Grande (seeds of Italy) shorter bushier growing and Andine Cornue (aka Cornue des Andes)
another tall cordon tomato.
Others will have their own favourites  :D

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 38 queries.