• 130 Replies

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Fishing Season 2017
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2017, 13:28 »
Certainly give you plenty of tying material  :lol: :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Aled

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2017, 09:49 »
Yes plenty of fly tying materials. I've got 6 grey squirrel tails drying in the garage at the moment. They provide materials for some great flies. Pheasant tails I have a fair few Aidy, if you are short i'll quite happily send you a couple in the post?
Teal as a wing material is not as fashionable as once was, I now tend to use it as a hackle on a Dyfi Bumble or on a hairwing red mackerel rather than as a wing for a teal blue and silver or Peter Ross, both of which I now tie with grey squirrel in the wing instead.
I was supposed to go wildfowling tonight, but sadly my pal had to pull out due to a family commitment which is fair enough, we've all been there!!
Tight Lines
Aled 

Ps Maybe I should rename this thread "Fly Tying & Shooting" for the next few weeks. LOL  ;)

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2017, 19:51 »
Cheers for that Aled, just may take you up on that  ;)

Anyways, up at 6.45am (on holiday too) brecky n brew and set off oop North to Caton near Lancaster for a day on Bank House (see photo). Plenty of movement on top so decided on the faithful mantana nymph to start, been good on others waters of late, wasn't long before the line went tight and the first 2lb rainbow in the net.
Thinking I was in for a belting day it went dead  :( decided on a move, then another move to a quiet flat calm area.
First cast in and a 1.5 lb rainbow, decided to stay a while as there was fish swirling in the margins, after a while off went the line again and a 2.5lb rainbow, took the hook that far down thought it was gonna poop it out!  :lol:
Decided on a spot of food and n brew to get some energy back. Whilst eating, in front of the lodge fish started to move again so off I went, lost JAWS  :ohmy: well judging by the fact the rod was nearly taken out me hand and the swirl  when it realised it was hooked, off it went then gone  >:(, spent a while and then moved on, it went dead, nothing was taking so last half hour swapped to a sedge dry fly and a red buzzer on the tip, three casts in and another 2lb rainbow.
Loving this holiday  8)
(getting ear ache off mrs as freezer full of chillies and trout)  :lol: :lol: :lol:
bank house.jpg
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:04 by Aidy »
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aled

« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2017, 09:27 »
Nice one Aidy that's some goof autumn fishing. I usually drop off a few rainbow trout to the farmers who let me shoot on their land in the winter.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2017, 19:31 »
So today is the last day of my hols so what better way to spend it then pop down to the local rezzy for a spot of fishing? (see photo below)

Planned to get there for 8am alas due to cloudless skies last night and enjoying the sights of the universe mI was a little late getting to bed and seem to sleep trough my alarm >:(

Arrived at 9.25am instead so got sorted and headed off to a spot where I had noticed a few fish jumping, to say this was the best day I have ever on there is an understatement, they were queing up to attach themselves on the hook  :ohmy: 6 decent rainbows in 45 mins, the montana nymph was again doing the biz.

Sun broke through and down they went and nothing for the next few hours, swapped tactic's a little and changed to a PTN with a bright green thorax and then the tugs started but they weren't taking them, managed a couple more late on tho.
Took home 3 fish @ 2 1/4 lbs a piece.

Well back to work tomorrow so will be a few weeks before I get chance to get out again but I have managed to fill the freezer with trout so should be good for a spell.
rezzy1.jpg

8doubles

« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2017, 19:45 »
I remember a trip to a Scottish stillwater this time of year when the salmon river we should have been on was in full flood.
Fishing a leaded PTN i got several tugs which when i reacted a bit faster turned into a limit of decent rainbows .
Respond fast, nine times out of ten it would be a fragment of weed on the hook but the rest were fish that due to the cold water did not whack the rod around summer rainbow fashion.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2017, 08:55 »
Aidy that sounds a close-to-perfect holiday. It'll be a while before you stop grinning, I'm sure  :D :D

Anad what's wrong with a freezerful of trout, I ask????:lol:

Aled

« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2017, 09:33 »
That's cracking fishing again Aidy. Do you fish later through the winter? I tend to finish now until spring.
Tight Lines
Aled

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2017, 15:32 »
That's cracking fishing again Aidy. Do you fish later through the winter? I tend to finish now until spring.
Tight Lines
Aled

To be honest I try and fish now whenever possible! With having a long break from fishing trying to make up for it  :D

The local waters do fish well in winter so long as it ant frozen of course. As it gets a colder the lures tend to come in play more but there still good sport with nymphs.
Talking of nymphs, I bought two pheasent tails from the local shop £2.20 :ohmy: :wacko: :wacko: decent size so I will get a good few PTN's from them which what is tonights menu, tying montanas and PTN's, weather looking ok so far for next week when I am off so might be able to get out again.

Aled

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2017, 16:43 »
Nice one Aidy, may well have a trip out Rainbow bashing this winter, haven't been for years though.
Tight Lines
Aled

8doubles

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2017, 19:51 »
 A PTN with a small brass bead head has done well for me , browns , rainbows and grayling . :)

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #86 on: November 07, 2017, 21:36 »
PTNs are my fave nymph, the local rezzy they love the PTN/ montana hybrid, PTN with a flo green thorax, just tied 6 size 14, 6 size 12 and 3 size 10 so have a good stock of them.

Aled

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2017, 09:39 »
Some good flies there Aidy & 8doubles. I need to go through my fly boxes this week, also need to go through my fly tying desk (an old writers bureau in the corner of the dinning room). As well as tidying up my corner of the utility room where I store my outdoor kit, the garage needs a tidy up as well...oh its looking busy!
Tight Lines
Aled

8doubles

« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2017, 13:11 »
I have a portable fly tying station , an old fibreglass kitchen drawer with pieces of  3" x1" wood screwed inside for vice and drilled for tools , bobbins and varnish bottles .
Can rest on my knees for tv viewing/tying , be taken out for al fresco tying or have a plywood lid screwed on for transporting on fishing holidays ! :)

Got a silly amount of hooks and materials  for trout , sea trout,  salmon and sea !

Aled

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2017, 13:44 »
Sounds good 8 doubles. I lived as a bachelor for 8 years, in my first house I had a back room filled with fly tying desk etc, and in my second bachelor pad, I had the desk nicely located under the stairs.
Initially (after marriage) my kit was located in the garage...it was cold in winter, anyway I told my wife (in itself a brave move!) I was getting a writers bureau, with the aim of storing my fly tying kit indoors. Initial opposition turned to a "fair play Al, that does actually work well in this room"
Tight Lines
Aled 

xx
Fishing Season 2020

Started by Aled on Chatting on the Plot

24 Replies
Last post October 28, 2020, 16:26
by Aled
xx
Fishing Season 2023

20 Replies
Last post October 19, 2023, 10:20
by Aled
xx
Fishing Season 2021-22

12 Replies
Last post July 07, 2021, 10:20
by Aled
xx
Fishing Season 2022

15 Replies
Last post October 11, 2022, 17:09
by Aled

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 51 queries.