Onions from seed - 2017

• 63 Replies

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
Re: Onions from seed - 2017
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2017, 12:14 »
Wednesday, 8th February 2017

Sowed 2 more trays of onions (Bedford Champions) approx. 96 seeds - larger seeds so a bit easier to control.  Covered over a bit more than normal, the packet says 1/2", don't think I have ever covered that much before so will see how it goes.  Just leeks to sow this week now but I can't find the packet.   

jaydig

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2017, 14:57 »
Checked on my onions and shallots yesterday, and the first sowings are all up.  I've sowed Ailsa Craig, Bedfordshire Champion, Exhibition and Santero for the onions, Long Red Florence shallots, and a couple of different types of leeks.  I will probably make a second sowing in the cold greenhouse tomorrow.
I also sowed some Masterpiece Green Longpod broad beans in modules and they are just beginning to show.
Very tempted to sow some tomatoes, but if it stays cold into March it will be a pointless exercise for me as I can't provide heat for the seedlings.

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2017, 18:28 »
I needed to re-sow Senshyu onions and Ramrod Spring onions again due to very poor germination. I read somewhere else that someone was experiencing poor germination, so i'll be keeping a close watch this time. All other varieties (8 i think) germinated well and some have been planted out already. Being at least 3 weeks ahead of UK (south) regards planting schedule is a bonus, although still suffer from itchy fingers, just for a shorter period.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2017, 13:25 »
Mine today, which are in a plastic greenhouse inside the main greenhouse.  They all have 2 leaves and some are getting their 3rd leaf.

I haven't got so may this year as I have other varieties for sowing later.  My usual trick is to have way too may of the really early ones then run out of space on the plot  :lol:

There are welsh onions, giant parsley and leaf celery next to them, leeks and a few more herbs on the shelves beneath.

mjg000

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2017, 18:51 »
My onion seedlings have been in the greenhouse for several weeks now. An interesting contrast between the earlier sown Ailsa Craig sown in early January and the Bedford Champions sown in early Feb. 

The photo shows Ishikura on the left, Bedford Champions in the middle and Ailsa Craig on the right looking quite weak and spindly.  However they are all growing much better and less leggy than previous years so I think the neglect and not over-watering them has worked.
3 trays of onions.jpg

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2017, 16:06 »
The deep tray of onion seedlings has been out in the big cold frame at the plot for two weeks now. Both the Bedfordshire Champions and the Ailsa Craigs have three of four leaves now. Have fed them twice and will now move to weekly feeding.

The Spring onions (White Lisbon & Lilia) were planted out under the long cloche last Thursday, in their clumps from modules. They are looking promising, and I hope they are as successful as in other years.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2017, 20:32 »
My really early sown ones have gone out today on the plot under a cloche.  Its taking a chance, but they have grown so well they really needed to come out of their modules.   They have been in the mesh covered cold frame for 2 weeks and have been fine.

I did consider potting on, but all available standing space for seedlings is at critical mass  :ohmy:   :lol:

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #52 on: April 01, 2017, 20:36 »
I think I'll stick with sets in future. I had to chuck out three-quarters of the seedlings I sowed in January. I had them in mini-pots on a shelf in the polytunnel. I probably neglected them, let them dry out and then drowned them

Tracybutton

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2017, 17:50 »
My first time in growing onions from seed. I've just kept them on the window sill and they are doing just as well as a fellow allotment holder who I'm having a competition with . He's had his under lighting with bottom heating and so is sick as a pig to see mine coming along as good  :D

mjg000

« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2017, 17:30 »
12 April 2017
Just a little reminder to myself - taken from www.johnsons-seeds.com 

Plant out into your onion bed late in April to early May, approximately 40cm x 45cm (15” x 18”) apart.  Water each plant well before planting out; this ensures that the root ball will easily slide out of the pot.  Dig each hole deep enough to allow the roots to spread easily.  Bury the white of the plant approximately 13-20mm (½” - ¾”) deep, firming well.  Do not over firm, and do not water unless it is absolutely necessary, but make sure the soil is moist.

I'm planning on planting out next week.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2017, 14:08 »
Has anyone planted out their onion seedlings yet? I was going to do mine at the weekend but was a little worried about the frosts. Are they quite hardy or not??

mjg000

« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2017, 16:31 »
Mine were all planted out last Friday, they've been sitting outside the greenhouse for several weeks now and although they look a bit whispy in the bed they have all perked up after the week-end.  I don't think the frosts will do them any harm. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2017, 16:33 »
Being averse to risk  ::)  I'm leaving mine in the greenhouse 'til after the cold snap  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2017, 20:24 »
Mine are out under a cloche.  They were getting too large for their modules. 

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2017, 20:39 »
Thanks for the replies...I'll look at putting them out this weekend. I'll check the forecast at the weekend and see how it's looking for the following week.

xx
Seed Circle 2017

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 10:21
by sunshineband
xx
onions from seed

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 26, 2012, 09:35
by JayG
xx
onions from seed

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 10, 2012, 18:33
by DD.
xx
red onions (going to seed!

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 21:10
by DD.

Page created in 0.331 seconds with 37 queries.