Onions from seed - 2017

• 63 Replies

victoria park

Re: Onions from seed - 2017
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2017, 17:42 »
In a perfect world, yes, it's a bit early to sow, but so many things can go wrong. In fact, my santero and globo sown on 1 Jan haven't germinated yet in my propagator. They never take this long. Very strange. New seed from Dobies.
One of the advantages with starting early is no shows can be overcome with another sowing of different seed. It's a form of insurance, and a lesson learnt from parsnip seeds. If they don't appear in the next week, I shall be buying new and chitting.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 07:21 »
What size modules do I use?  I have 40 in a tray 4cm x4cm  and 15 in a tray 7cm x 7cm.  Too small and two big?

I guess I can use the smaller trays for shallots, but are they ok for onions?

Thanks.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 08:39 »
The smaller ones will be fine to start onions in.  Mine are in a seed tray and get transplanted to modules that can't be much different in size.

They don't need huge pots, just regular liquid feeds as they stay in the compost for a while. Any general purpose feed for veg will do  :)

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 17:21 »
hi all,  advice please I sowed a tray of Sturon onion seed on 8 January and they seemed to show signs of life quite quickly, the second lot sown on 9 Jan took longer.  neither are as prolific as previous years, and the second tray shows very little signs of life and mainly at one end.  Wondering if room is not hot enough to have kick started seeds, 1 or 2 are quite tall now.  Should I resow?  I also sowed Ailsa Craig on the same days, 1 tray of each, and the 1st of those is showing well but later than Sturon, and the 2nd has almost none showing yet.   
Sturon sown 8 Jan.jpg
Sturon sown 9 Jan.jpg
Ailsa Craig sown 8 Jan.jpg
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 17:24 by mjg000 »

AussieInFrance

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 18:57 »
Onions germinate as low as 5C so i doubt if it's the room conditions. Too hot is a bigger issue with onions. I'm inclined to think it's more likely to be seed viability with onions. Storage conditions need to be stringent (freezer or at least refrigerator).

There's been many a recent discussion about the quality (age) of seed available generally as it appears there's only 2 sources for seed companies. If's it's a bad batch for one, then it's likely to be wide-spread.

Luckily, it's not too late to re-sow.
Grow lights for early germination;
Blow away on NE facing terrace for hardening off;
Small potager 90sq.m at 300metres
No-dig method, intensive planting and incorporating permaculture principles.

victoria park

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 19:50 »
I've had the worst germination ever this year. Next to nothing with 2 separate varieties, but the same supplier. Looking as if I'm going to have to resow with what seeds I can get locally in the next week.

victoria park

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 18:06 »
Bedford champion and some more Santero in the sprouter today for chitting to make sure the pesky blighters actually germinate before sowing. Not what I would want, but I've lost confidence in my onion seeds this year.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 18:07 by victoria park »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2017, 10:26 »
I haven't been able to find the deep trays, so bought some new ones yesterday (£1.99 each in B&M). Once holes have been made in them: Mr Sunny has volunteered his services here but if he lags behind the need to satisfy these itchy fingers, I shall be getting out the old screwdriver and heating it up on the cooker to do the job.

Ailsa Craig and Bedfordshire Champion this year for me, plus a range of Spring Onions too, which will be sown in pinches in modules
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

arh

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2017, 14:32 »
I sowed 48 paper modules (a la richie) of Bedfordshire Champion on Jan 1st, most were showing in 14 days and only 3 haven't shown at all, (but I have reseeded them), and all seem to be doing ok, (atm), time will tell. Is baby bio a good liquid feed or should I make some up with the horse manure I collected yesterday? Thanks, arh.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2017, 14:54 »
I've used Baby Bio before and they seemed to like it  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2017, 15:59 »
I've used Baby Bio before and they seemed to like it  :)

My brother swears by Baby Bio for all sorts, and if the onions you grow New Shoot are anything to go by, they thrive on it for sure!

I use the cheap liquid vegetable feed from B&M and that seems to be OK too

arh

« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2017, 16:23 »
Thank you both, one bottle of baby grow coming up, :D, arh.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2017, 08:53 »
Mine are getting pricked out into small modules this weekend.  I will have to shift some houseplants to other areas, but I reckon I can fit the lot onto the kitchen windowsill.  Tinfoil reflectors will also be installed.

They will graduate to the blowaway inside the greenhouse, once I'm sure these really cold frosty nights are done with.

jambop

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 21:04 »
So I got my onions sown today in the poly tunnel. Hopefully the extra heat in there will get them away. It is unheated but these things don't take long to warm up when the sun gets on it. I will cover them up at night with bubble wrap and insulation material to try and keep the heat in the compost. Four varieties Zebrune, golden bear, Red Amposte and long red Florence .

snowdrops

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2017, 17:55 »
Sown Bedfordshire Champion, Alisa Craig & an Italian one, all nowresiding in the propagator in the unseated conservatory. I've not plugged the propagator in either, & since I hadn't warmed the compost I poured boiling water over it before I started
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Seed Circle 2017

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 10:21
by sunshineband
clip
onions from seed.. my way

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 14, 2018, 10:32
by jambop
xx
Help onions going to seed!?

Started by cheadleplotter on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 30, 2009, 09:28
by yummy
xx
Onions from seed.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 02, 2013, 07:20
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 37 queries.