Waste not, want not.

• 10 Replies

Lardman

Waste not, want not.
« on: November 13, 2016, 11:29 »
Looks like no body wants to harvest the Bramleys (well at least I think they're bramleys) from the tree on the main road.  :wacko: I've been picking a few windfalls when walking Max of a morning as they're 400 - 450g each :ohmy: it's such a waste, it doesn't take many to be useful.

I'm seriously considering taking a pole out and picking the tree over, since the council have crown lifted it to 8ft there's nothing reachable and what's left it just going to rot or be mowed into the ground  if they fall off :mad:  Feels wrong though  :unsure:

There's this mornings - have to puree them as they bruise when hitting the ground  :(

windfall_a.jpg
windfall_b.jpg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Waste not, want not.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 15:15 »
I'd certainly pick any that I could reach  :D

chrissie B

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 17:33 »
Theres a couple of apple trees on the common land near us but they allways look scabby and ive enough apples .
ive seen other people picking them .
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 18:20 »
I was actually surprised how clean these were, especially so late in the season. There's a bit of moth damage but that's about it.  Seeing as my entire bramley yielded just 7 apples this year I've been glad of them, plenty for piggy dinners and puddings with custard, there's a little of 4 pints of puree from this mornings.

I hadn't given it a thought picking them by hand but it feels a bit wrong to take a pole picker out there  ::  I'd like to put some in store though and that's not possible once they've been bruised.

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 18:54 »
Why don't you pick them all & have what you want & leave some in a box at the base of the tree with a sign saying help yourself😊 You'll be doing others a favour too, then if after a few days they are still there you can help yourself to some more
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 20:55 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 19:58 »
Why don't you pick them all & have what you want & leave some in a box at the base of the tree with a sign saying help yourself😊 You'll be doing others a favour too, then if after a few days they are still there you can help yourself to stay me more

Good idea, Snowdrops.  It's wicked to waste good food, and it could mean that people who may not be able to buy fruit will be able to use it.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 12:36 »
Why don't you pick them all & have what you want & leave some in a box at the base of the tree with a sign saying help yourself😊

Nice idea, but around here the local yoof would thank you for providing them an easy source of ammo to throw at passing cars.  :mad:

I've picked just over 20lb but my Heath Robinson apple picker is now falling apart so I've called it a day.  Apple pie anyone  :tongue2:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 12:46 »
Ooh, yes please *flutters eyelashes*

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 17:32 »
Why don't you pick them all & have what you want & leave some in a box at the base of the tree with a sign saying help yourself😊

Nice idea, but around here the local yoof would thank you for providing them an easy source of ammo to throw at passing cars.  :mad:

I've picked just over 20lb but my Heath Robinson apple picker is now falling apart so I've called it a day.  Apple pie anyone  :tongue2:

Hmm that's a shame, what about a charity could you give them some, or a playgroup,WI,old folks home? Then maybe you wouldn't feel guilty, not that you need too, it's just plain wrong to waste them! 😊

Aled

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 09:59 »
Good for you Lardman, its a bit late for me this year but I will make sure I harvest the tree in our village next autumn!
Cheers
Aled

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 13:15 »
Bearing in mind that the tree might well have a substantial harvest next year, perhaps you could think about juicing or cider production, Lardman.

Love the idea of the share box too!
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 36 queries.