Canning/Jarring season again!

• 37 Replies

Beekissed

Canning/Jarring season again!
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:49 »
Canned 16 qt. of sweet corn this weekend.  Hope to get 40+ qts of corn canned this season.   Soon it will be tomatoes...hope to can up some tomato soup, salsa and sauce.  The beans started slow this year but I usually see a huge set on of beans come the end of August and into September. 

I'm hoping to set up a summer kitchen situation out in the carport so that I can keep most of my canning mess and heat out there, as well as use it for processing of the chickens this fall.  Currently looking for a second hand laundry sink for that purpose and also a second hand gas range. 

Anyone else excited about canning season?   
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:50 by Beekissed »

snowdrops

Re: Canning/Jarring season again!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 07:16 »
I don't know how you can face it again Bees, it seems so soon after last years mammoth sessions you told us about. I've still got last years fruit in the freezer. Do you not freeze any thing? When you say canned is it into tins or glass jars?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 07:16 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 11:22 »
What we call bottling, the States calls canning  :)  Its a bit of a dying art here as people do tend to freeze stuff, but I've dabbled a bit and it is very satisfying to do.

I haven't started anything yet, but I did a big audit on all my glass jars yesterday.  They are all lined up now in order just waiting to go and I'm starting to look at recipes for pickles and preserves to see what is on the 'must make' list this year. 

I really like the idea of an outdoor processing set-up  :D I wish I had the room for one.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 12:04 »
Yes an outdoor kitchen would be good, pickling smells invade all of the house. I do a few chutneys & jams usually but not anything else really. There is a limit to how much jam & pickle you can or want to eat though, plus my waistline will suffer. I need to look at alternatives for cherries again, as now I've got the fruit cage up & running I've got loads to pick, but they are morello so no eating without cooking

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 12:44 »
I usually only bottle tomatoes and my passata. I make a batch of chutney, 1 of marmalade and 1 of jam.

Last year I made Tosca's ( :( ) harvest veg in vinegar and it was lovely, but by the start of the New Year the remaining jars started to look murky, so were thrown away to be on the safe-side.

Beekissed

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 01:28 »
I don't know how you can face it again Bees, it seems so soon after last years mammoth sessions you told us about. I've still got last years fruit in the freezer. Do you not freeze any thing? When you say canned is it into tins or glass jars?

I don't freeze much....the power goes out here a lot, particularly in big storms and can be off for over 2 wks time, so anything in the freezer can be lost.  Learned my lesson some years back when we had a huge dericho come through, power out for over two weeks, stinkin' hot weather after and I had 50 meat chickens I had raised from chicks, all processed here and packaged up in my freezer.  Parted all those out to those who still had power...got one grocery bag back of spare parts. 

If I have small batches of things I don't mind losing, I'll freeze it, but that's not much....got 4 qt. of peaches in the freezer right now from one of the trees.  Last year I canned them. 

Canned means jarred or bottled here in the states, don't know why that is but that's what it's called.

I look forward to canning like others look forward to Black Friday sales or after the holidays sales...canning is what replenishes my cupboards and allows me to store fresher, more pure, foods than can be found at the store.  It's like having a mini market in the house.   :D  Saves me money! 

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 21:49 »
I love canning too! This is one of my favourite times of year.

Been a slow year here for me and the veg patch kind of ended up taking a second seat to the animals which have been challenging this year. The squash are only just getting going and the beans will be soon. Tomatoes and chillies are way behind but fingers crossed for some soon. Have got enough pickled walnuts to keep me going for the next couple of years and the first of the damsons will be ready in just a few days. Have hopefully also got enough rhubarb to get be through the year!

I freeze a bit but the freezer is mainly for meat. I also really like the instant availability of canned stuff, really want to do some instant meals like soup and sauces this year.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Beekissed

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 18:21 »
Tomatoes are coming on quick, so canning is here whether I like it or not!   :D    Had new red potates and new sweet corn out of the garden the other day, smothered in butter with a little salt and pepper.  Better than anything one could get in the finest restaurants!  Simple, sweet, silky and good! 

Can't wait to have those shelves lined with pretty jars all in a row!   :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 20:01 »
Can't wait to have those shelves lined with pretty jars all in a row!   :)

Oh yes, jars all filled on a shelf are a heart warming sight.  I've been inspired to start a thread so we can share as well  :lol:  There are more than a few jar enthusiasts around on here  ;)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=124043.0

Beekissed

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 01:06 »
Canned up 15 qts and 7 pts of salsa today and am currently canning tomato soup....don't know how many I'll end up with but not likely to have more than 8 qt. and 16 pts of that. 

Will start on corn again on Friday and hope to finish out the corn needs for the winter then. 

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2016, 22:44 »
At the moment it is Bread and Butter pickles that are filling up my shelves but planning on going scrumping in the nearby abandoned orchard for plums as the trees there are groaning with fruit, pears will be next month or Oct.

Flowertot

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 09:37 »
In the last few days I have made Val's Blackberry & Apple jam and her Damson jam (thanks Val  :D). Both are delicious and a huge hit with my boys. All I had to buy was the sugar as we have blackberries, Bramley apples and Damsons galore at the moment. I've run out of jars so will need to fix that before the next batch.

Beekissed

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2016, 16:39 »
Finished up the corn and need to finish up with the tomato soup.  Cutting up peaches for freezing right now...a late bearing white peach that produced very well but had to be picked while most of the fruit was still green due to the dog and birds eating all the fruit, right off the tree. 

Beekissed

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2016, 06:48 »
Finished up the tomato soup tonight....ended up with 12 qts and 6 pts.  Very good flavor and a real pretty jar....pure goodness!  This soup recipe:  http://www.food.com/recipe/moms-best-tomato-soup-canning-recipe-44058

Of course, I tweaked it a little....added the salt and sugar to taste instead of the amounts called for.  Also used a little bit of carrots in the soup. 

Tomato soup in the front, salsa in the back....

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2016, 07:17 »
 All this canning, where do you folks keep all this stuff, must be jam jars everywhere,?
Colin

clip
Fall Canning Season

Started by LotuSeed on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

4 Replies
Last post October 25, 2014, 05:55
by tosca100
question
Canning jars for Tomotoes (steam canning)

Started by seascape on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 01, 2009, 09:38
by Patricia
xx
Re-jarring, can I do it?

Started by jennypike on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 23:16
by Trillium
xx
Another jam question (sorry!) Jarring

Started by Casey76 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

16 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 10:53
by catllar

Page created in 0.173 seconds with 33 queries.