Greenhouse Frames

• 17 Replies

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse Frames
« on: March 08, 2016, 08:45 »
B&Q are selling off greenhouse Frames with Bases for £25 as they no longer sell the polycarbonate for them and they are old stock. Well worth buying as fruit cages and using debris netting.
Greenhouse Frame 1.jpg
Greenhouse Frame 2.jpg
Greenhouse Frame 3.jpg

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Greenhouse Frames
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 17:16 »
Was just about to post something similar - I picked up what might possibly be a 'Harmony 6x4' greenhouse for 20 notes
. Its got plastic windows so is allowed on my site. Can't say for sure that it is 6*x4 as there were no instructions nor legible picture on the battered box.
They had sold off a fair few boxes that were in better nick. Looks like there are going to be 50mph gales round here tonight/tomorrow so I've cancelled plans to start on it this evening.
My local had a few 6x6 metal bases going for £10 and boxes of polycarbonate for 6x6 greenhouses for the same amount. I might head back there tomorrow and pick up the poly to use as spares for the GH at home and maybe make some coldframes.
(Mrs Balders may come to regret not getting me a polytunnel for Christmas as plastic gizmos spread mysteriously across the back garden) ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 15:13 »
Balders

Palram will send you the instructions as an Adobe file if you contact them. It could be a Silver Line / Green Line 6x4 as I picked up one for £50 and it more or less the same as one my brother in law donated to me a few years ago.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 15:46 »
Cheers PM,

The palram website was playing up when I last looked but seems they have it sorted now:
Downloadable instructions at:
http://www.palramapplications.com/assembly-instructions/

Pip pip,
Balders

Trikidiki

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 16:45 »
B&Q are selling off greenhouse Frames with Bases for £25 as they no longer sell the polycarbonate for them and they are old stock. Well worth buying as fruit cages and using debris netting.

Check which one you are buying if you are planning to glaze it, there are two different products. One is "not suitable for polycarbonate" and the other is "not suitable for glass glazing".

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 16:49 »
True but at a £5 each for the battered boxes I got one of each type, they are ideal for debris netting.

Trikidiki

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 17:17 »
Just thought I'd mention it in case someone bought the "polycarbonate one" and filled it with glass and found it all collapsed the following morning. It maybe you cannot put glass in that one. My local B&Q sold them off weeks ago I saw them and they were the "not suitable for glass" ones, my son-in-law bought one at a different branch and I warned him not to use glass but it turned out he had bought the other type and is now on the scrounge for glass.

Mum2mj

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 18:03 »
Balders

Palram will send you the instructions as an Adobe file if you contact them. It could be a Silver Line / Green Line 6x4 as I picked up one for £50 and it more or less the same as one my brother in law donated to me a few years ago.

Wasn't the Sutton branch was it?! We got one too :)

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 20:22 »
Balders

Wasn't the Sutton branch was it?! We got one too :)

Yep it was  :D

Trikidiki

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2016, 07:56 »
I'm sure they don't want to sell these.

I rang my local B&Q last week to ask if they had any and was told they had all been sold weeks ago, then my son-in-law told me they still had them. I went in to look and sure enough they had loads of the polycarbonate ones in 6'x4' and 8'x6' and a few glass ones in 6'x4'. I was looking at them and an assistant came up and said he wouldn't buy one if he was me. He said they were only fit for scrap as they were all missing pieces.

Despite his words I bought two of the 6'x4' glass ones.

A couple of days later I unpacked them, the plastic boxes were falling to pieces and the cardboard packaging was saturated. I compared the contents of the two boxes and it appeared there was a bundle of parts missing from one of them. I took the equivalent bundle back to B&Q (without the receipt) and explained that I had bought two and one was missing these parts. The nice girl on the returns desk opened the last one they had and gave me the missing parts.

I managed to salvage a set of instructions, one set had disintegrated. If anyone needs a copy I will scan it. I am sure these are re-badged Hall's greenhouses. I just downloaded the instructions from their website and they look pretty similar to the ones that came with my greenhouse. Will do a more thorough comparison in the week when I can bring them back from the plot.

I don't know what I am going to do with them yet but they were too good a deal to miss. I may use them as peach greenhouses or cut them in half and net them to protect my 'soon to be' fan cherry trees. If nothing else I think the roof-lights are the same as on my large greenhouse so I may use them on there for extra ventilation, considering that Halls charge £33 just for a roof-light, I would class it as pay-off.

Incidentally, they are orientated such that the gable end is the 6' dimension, therefore with a little engineering you could make a 6'x8' with a central partition if you wanted to heat a smaller area. Or add an extension onto an existing greenhouse.

They are also selling the bases. I haven't looked closely at them but they might make 5" raised beds.

Trikidiki

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 20:57 »
I have compared the Halls Greenhouses Manual from their website and the one supplied with my greenhouse. The text is different but the pictures are all identical so I am convinced these are Halls clones.

Plotmaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 07:53 »
Thanks for that, I have not opened my boxes to see if instructions are in there, the bottom of the boxes were battered and I may have lost a component or two but as I'm going to be using them as fruit cages if there are any bits missing I can always improvise. When I visited the Halls website after reading your post there were a number of types which one matches the original instructions?

Trikidiki

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 12:43 »
It was the Halls Popular Range. This link should download the manual for you. It covers the 6x4, 6x6 and 6x8 models.

http://www.hallsgreenhouses.co.uk/download.php?id=1207

The B&Q instructions are much more descriptive. If you'd like, I could scan them for you.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 15:00 »
I put my 6*4 up over the course of a couple of weekends. There were no instructions and a few parts missing. My biggest mistake was in expecting a hinged door rather than one on rollers (all the Palram guides that I found had hinged doors). One part of the runner mechanism was missing so I ended up constructing a wooden door frame and hinging the door anyway.

We've just had a night / morning of gusty winds so I popped up to the plot at lunchime to discover that a couple of the plastic panels had 'popped out' despite lashing of sealant. I've no got rope and wire wrapped round the GH to (hopefully) keep things in place. I'll probably end up glueing the plastic in and fixing some netting over as well. Its not as pretty as it once was.  ;)
Wind is the biggest problem on our site.

I think I'll have issues with it over the winter months but for £20... If it was in a sheltered spot I'd be very happy with it.

Pip pip,
Balders

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 15:01 »
.... and the Hall's guide does look like the GH I had in the box.

Pip pip,
Balders

xx
cold frames

Started by celtbhoy on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 11:17
by DadBear
xx
Bike tyres as cloche frames

Started by Stoatus on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2009, 07:37
by joyfull
clip
ASDA & ARGOS selling off Mini Greenhouses & Cold Frames

Started by cadalot on Frugal Living

16 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 08:00
by Sparkyrog
xx
RE-USE A GREENHOUSE

Started by MARROW HEAD on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2008, 00:10
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 36 queries.