Making fire briquettes from shredded paper

• 4 Replies

Goosegirl

Making fire briquettes from shredded paper
« on: July 06, 2015, 15:31 »
As I'm not bothered about their shape, what is the "recipe" used to make them? I have a cross-cut shredder for the paper and an open fire to burn the briquettes on.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Making fire briquettes from shredded paper
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 15:36 »
Soak paper in water 'til soft - press into briquette maker to squeeze water out, turn out, leave to dry.

You can mix in sawdust, wood chips, leaves - anything you have hanging around that will burn easily  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 16:23 »
Brian bought a brick maker, and we just soaked the paper in water, but he soon got bored with that idea, so I just use my unwanted paper to light the fire in the winter!

He tried wallpaper paste too, but wasn't much different.

The trick, if you don't have a brick maker is to make the sure 'bricks' and really tightly stuffed together fr them to hold their shape, and when you are drying them out, make sure you leave breathing room around each one so they dry quicker.  I used to dry ours in the polytunnel!   :lol:

hamstergbert

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 20:44 »
the shreddies become sufficiently soaked faster if you make the water wetter.  Easiest way is to use water with a bit of washing up liquid in it - I use the washing up water when all I have been washing is glasses so not too many 'bits'.   Have also successfully prepared the water by chucking in the waste slivers of soap bars a week or two ahead of time and giving it a good stir so the soap will act the same as detergent and soak the paper better.  Into an old plastic tub/dustbin with loads of shreddies.  Gadget in plastic 4-tray trough for the squeeze step, expressed liquid teemed back into the tub for the next sackful so don't have top  refill too often.

I mix in any coal dust left in my bunker, ditto any sawdust.  I usually lay them out a few inches apart on the greenhouse staging and stand the 4-tray troughs on top.  Generally dry enough to use after a few summer months but it doesn't hurt to keep a few in the boiler cupboard in the winter so the waste heat keeps them fully dry.   If there are too many to lay out like that I stack them three to a layer in a vertical stack like that block removal game.....

Sometimes I 'break' them over a step or something.  The break is similar to a greenstick fracture with lots of shreddies hanging down.  Helps to light the things and get them going.  Sometimes I dismantle them into flattish chunks and use them in lieu of paper and stick to get the fire going from scratch!

Once they are dry they are very strong indeed - certainly take my weight standing on one that is upended.  A few years ago had quite a lot of them thanks to a friend/client whose business created umpteen massive sacksful of shreddies every week, and used the resulting blocks when dried to make an armchair out the back (temporarily)
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 20:45 »
WIi8BYcDw10

xx
My Scrap wood fire place

Started by richyrich7 on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post October 01, 2008, 20:07
by richyrich7
xx
Making Cloches

Started by DadBear on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post September 06, 2007, 19:23
by The Thin Blue Line
xx
Making your own Cloches

Started by nwalch on Design and Construction

10 Replies
Last post December 29, 2007, 11:55
by DD.
xx
Making Paths

Started by WendysLot on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 09:54
by WendysLot

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 35 queries.