• Global Moderator
Re: Plot produce productions
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2015, 06:46 »
Thanks Beekissed.  Food for thought  :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2015, 08:21 »
Last night, I sorted out the small heads of garlic from this years harvest.  These were peeled and chopped in a mini processor, then put into a warm sterilised jar and covered with really hot oil.  The kitchen smelt amazing for a while and despite wearing gloves, so do my hands  ::)  I'll be safe from vampires for a while  :lol:

That's one jar of lazy garlic, but I need another small jar for the rest.  I'm going shopping later, so may just look out for a jar of something I can use up fast  ;)

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2015, 11:48 »
I've pickled my first turnip!  :D

It's slowly turning neon pink, and the slices are already very tasty. Hopefully won't be rejected outright by the Surbie contingent on first tasting as the jar's too big to go in the fridge.
turnip and cat.JPG

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2015, 13:51 »
Is that pink colour coming from beetroot Surbie?  That's a very pretty pickle  8)

surbie100

« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2015, 15:27 »
Mostly - there's a bit of red wine vinegar in there too. It's more of a Japanese salted pickle, so it will need to go in the fridge after a week fermenting and be eaten in 6-ish weeks, but OH is a pickle fiend, as is Small Child, so if they like 'em it's not a problem to eat all that.

The colour's even stronger today!

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2015, 16:16 »
Just done some dilly beans with runners, which came back to life after the drought broke and are now producing well. Now have to wait a while......................

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2015, 07:34 »
I'm nearly all done for the year, but in the last couple of days, the quinces have been dealt with.  There is a large plastic tub of chopped quince, brandy and a bit of sugar steeping in the kitchen and couple of jars of quince jelly to show for my efforts  :)

I do like making quince jelly.  It tastes lovely, but the transformation from dirty looking yellow/amber juice to sparklingly clear pink jelly in the jar is particularly satisfying  :D

Just done some dilly beans

What are dilly beans please Tosca  :)

tosca100

« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2015, 09:23 »
I love quince jelly too New Shoot, but my supply dried up for this year. I still have some I did last year though.

Dilly beans are what Americans call pickled beans with dill. I used self sown fennel which is coming through at the moment, half water, half vinegar, salt and a dash of honey (because we have our own and it goes in lots of things)poured over beans cut to jar size and whole garlic cloves, then waterbathed. They lose colour and a bit of crunch, but are very moreish.

Go nicely with the honey mustard carrots I did earlier

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2015, 10:28 »
Have you had snow yet Tosca? It was forecast for your part of the world, I think  :ohmy:

tosca100

« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2015, 14:19 »
No, not yet. Someone somewhere said it was going to happen but the latest forecast has given dry weather in the twenties for the next week. But ten again, anything could happen. I've been out picking runner beans this morning and there is no sign of frost on the sweet potatoes. Maybe the cold weather of Eastern Europe has given us a miss for now. My sister is driving out this week so I hope so for their sake.

surbie100

« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2015, 21:03 »
Am joining in on the quince jelly, though mine are japonicas instead of the big ones.

Have also made some trial sloe/chilli vodka and if that works am giving dark rum a go with the same ratios.
quince jelly jars.jpg
sloe vodka.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2015, 07:07 »
That picture has made me think of quince jelly on toast for breakfast  :D  Sloe and chilli vodka sounds interesting.  Let us know how it turns out  :)

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 33 queries.