Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

News:

New (and old) members please read the Site Policies

Author Topic: Site Upgrade  (Read 24735 times)

cadalot

Re: Site Upgrade
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 06:52 »
Could not get to the diary page off the main menu yesterday and some missing page messages on both computer and smart phone

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 08:00 »
When I posted something yesterday Aunt Sally's avatar showed directly under mine, I thought I was under 24 hour surveilance. Thats a scary thought it aftually made me jump.

:lol: Bless  ;)
Lesley
-------------
I'm not good, I'm not bad, I'm just me - and sometimes I have to apologise for that.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 12:04 »
It's a bit of a mess but we can't figure what's causing some problems so simplifying the number of potential causes.

Maybe something you already know, and depends a bit on what the server is and what level of "access" you have, but your Web Server should have a "URL Rewriter" module, which should be able to parse a [i.e. duff / old] URL and convert it into a new style one, and then "redirect" to that.  The redirect can offer a response code of "Permanently moved" (sorry, forgotten the ID number offhand) which will cause things like Google's Spiders to stop looking at (nor indexing) the original URL.  Blogs, Favourites and the like that point to the old URL will continue to work.  Browsers are (I think?) smart enough to remember the new URL "in some circumstances", but they won't update the source information of course, so when the user's cache goes stale a new lookup, via the old URL, will occur.
My Blog last major update 30th December 2012

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 12:06 »
P.S. There is a school of thought that your old style URL, which included some of the title, works better for SEO.  I say "school of thought" because my clients keep telling me that they have paid good money to go to conferences and become convinced of it, but we have loads of sites using old-style MyPage=123456 type URLs and have no difficulty getting top ranking on search engines ... so personally I don't believe it, but lots of Consultancy Fees says that I may be wrong :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 18:13 »
I just got an error 404 message for a thread when I tried to navigate to it using the 'Next' function at the bottom of the previous thread.  However, when I clicked on the thread from the index, it opened fine  :unsure:

It has an attachment so don't know if that's relevant at all.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/grow-your-own/1/new-to-allotments-have-plan-but-would-like-some-assistance/118625/new#new
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 18:13 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

rogerbodger

« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 19:06 »
I still had the 404 problem this evening, have just cleared cookies for the site and now the board is fine. Hope this is of help.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 19:22 »
I click on the Seed-Give-Away link and my CD drawer pops out with a new bag of seeds!

Nice One!  :wacko: :tongue2:
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

RubyR3d

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 09:49 »
   Oh blimey I too had an error 404. But unfortunately I am useless on the technical side and don't know what to do. I can get on ALL the other chatting sites eg.  hen house, grow your own etc but NOT chatting on the plot. Thought id been barred . . .  :unsure:

Goosegirl

« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 10:23 »
I'm getting this.
The requested file was not found on the server. This could be because it was deleted or it never existed in the first place. Often caused by misspellings of URLs.
Which I think Kristen as already said.
I also got this same message yesterday for the usual forums I go on (Grow your own, general gardening, pets without feathers and Chatting) so PM-ed John, and also MOS who directed me by link to this page. I have just done a quick scan to remove coookies, tried again and am still having the same problem with these, yet RubyR3d can get on Grow your own. I too thought I'd been barred!  :ohmy: I clicked on Kirstens link below re- melons and that worked, so where's me paddle??  :unsure:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 10:26 by Goosegirl »
"Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend." Martin Luther King.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 11:14 »
Why on earth would you think you'd both been barred?

We would never do that without informing you ;)
Find more about Weather in Maidstone, UK

Goosegirl

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 12:52 »
Why on earth would you think you'd both been barred?
We would never do that without informing you ;)
I know that. It was meant as a light-hearted comment to provide a little chuckle for those wondering why they can't access their favourite site topics!  :nowink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 12:55 »
As was my relpy GG, hence the ;)

RubyR3d

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 15:28 »
Thank you john. I'm up and running . . .mwaaaaa  :tongue2:

pepsi100

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 19:07 »
Murphy's law shall prevail, what can go wrong, will
It's all about the journey, not the destination

3759allen

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 21:06 »
i still can't get on the grow your own section, is this still experiencing problems? if it is i'll stop being an impatient so and so. lol.

all the other sections seem fine.

Share via twitter

xx
SITE POLICIES

Started by The Moderating Team

0 Replies
Last post October 05, 2007, 22:51
by The Moderating Team