Eating and Drinking > Cooking, Storing and Preserving

Bread the stuff of life

(1/106) > >>

chrissie B:
I love to produce a tasty loaf , now i was wondering is my loaf recipe which has 1 teaspoon each of salt and sugar + 1oz of butter to 1lb of flour is this healthier than shop bought and could i reduce the ammount of salt and sugar without compromising the flavour , i do love my bread id hate to think it wasn't better for me than the shop stuff.
chrissie b

Mrs Bee:
You can ditch the sugar, replace the butter with olive oil but don't reduce the salt.

bread without salt is foul and if you are making it in a bread machine the loaf goes a strange texture.

I have on occasions forgotten the salt and the birds got the bread, Yuck.

Any homemade bread is better than shop bought because of all the chemicals they put in it to extend the shelf life.

Kevin67:
Home made bread is far more filling, so you eat less of it while enjoying it more- health benefits all round!

I've had home made bread made for me for years now - but not the brown variety sadly.

Beetroot Queen:
We make florences bread so its safe. Still trying to get a decent wheat free bread for Harry. That rice bread is just disgusting if even comes with moisture sachets between the slices. That to me is just wrong.

We love homemad bread no butter in ours though.

Mrs Bee:

--- Quote from: Kevin67 on January 09, 2015, 20:04 ---Home made bread is far more filling, so you eat less of it while enjoying it more- health benefits all round!

I've had home made bread made for me for years now - but not the brown variety sadly.

--- End quote ---

Does this mean that you would quite like some wholemeal bread then Kev.

If so, get out in the kitchen and make yourself some. :lol: :lol: :lol:

We usually have wholemeal. The best tasting wholemeal bread flour is snaisbury's, and I add a small handful of sesame seed, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version