Sorry, another Bee question

• 12 Replies

splash101

Sorry, another Bee question
« on: May 20, 2014, 11:48 »
Last week i noticed a small number of bees buzzing constantly around the corner eaves of our house. Over the weekend the small number has increased to quite a number.

Now personally we are not too concerned (unless someone tells me I should be running for the hills). I figure they will do what they need to do and eventually move on.

Hubby has been up the ladders (I dont know why, its not as if he knows what he's looking for) and reported back to me that  he couldnt see any nest or anywhere they can get in (me - shakes head knowing if theres a will there's a way). I've been in the loft several times just to check and all is clear.

So that's how we left it. Let them do their thing and as it's so high up its not likely to cause too much of a problem right?

Well nosey neighbour has been round to let us know we have a bee problem. (still not sure it is a problem to us but its obviously bothering him - not even near his house though - and he tells us we can contact the council to deal with it)
Ha ha, he obviously has never contacted the council before because they are very good at avoiding a question and even better at avoiding giving an answer. Their only coments worth knowing were, if its a problem, contact a local bee keeper.
Of course, and the local bee keeper is?.............

Anyway, unless someone can give me any advice, i'm thinking the best thing is to just let them get on with it.

If nosey neighbour mentions it again, at least i can tell him that i have contacted the council.

Funny thing is, i did mention last year about looking into bee keeping, but i thought i read that you need insurance? so decided against it. Damn that Karma's a ****** sometimes :ohmy:

maloneranger

• Experienced Member
Re: Sorry, another Bee question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 12:02 »
Last week i noticed a small number of bees buzzing constantly around the corner eaves of our house. Over the weekend the small number has increased to quite a number.

Are you quite sure that these are bees, and not wasps?

splash101

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 14:08 »
Yep definately bees, been up close and personal with them  :ohmy:

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 17:32 »
Council won't come out for bees unless they are a potential health hazard. 

As you say, they will do their thing and either die or move on.  We had them in the porch over the front door a few years ago, and they were fine.  We did put a notice up to warn people just in case of allergic reactions to stings etc.

They were very placid though and unfortunately died a few months later.

Insurance is recommended when keeping bees for the reason given above, but as you are not keeping the bees you don't have to insure against anything.

You probably only have a few, rather than a whole colony (100k of bees) in any case.

They do get in the smallest of holes - good time is early am when the sun hits the spot where they are or dusk when they return for the night.  You may then be able to spot where they are getting in.  Do you have any cavity space in your walls?  Doesn't have to be a large space as they will build their combs in gaps of about a couple of bees thickness (known as 'bee space').

Enjoy them and forget the neighbour!

splash101

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 18:25 »
Definately not a whole colony then eek! and it is more noticible when the sun hits it

I dare say that if they wanted to get in somewhere they would. Walls are filled with insulation. Its more around the roof tiles on the very corner part.

Live and let live I say, they are not really bothering me, its way out of reach anyway.

I wonder if i could train them to attack the pesky door to door sales people that spring up in the warmer months too

The neighbour will get over it, i may just tell him at least it's not rats!

Asherweef

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 19:44 »
Generally no-one will remove bees unless there is a real and present reason as they are increasingly endangered. Enjoy it!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 20:08 »
I would get them checked to see what type of bee they are because there is a type of bee that will eat the mortar between the bricks.
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 20:12 »
just googled and they are called mortar bees and mason bees - they don't eat the mortar but do burrow into it.

splash101

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 20:45 »
Yes joyful, that was another of my concerns.

Snoop

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 11:06 »
Ask your local bee association. I'm sure you'll find contact details on the web. Take a photo of the bees and consult them. If they are honeybees and can be reached, you might find a beekeeper who will remove them for you and hive them. If your neighbour is a problem individual, you don't want to have trouble over supposed stings or even complaints about bee poo on washing (it does happen!). If they're not honeybees, your local association might be able to provide you with advice on dealing with the bees and/or your neighbour.

Swing Swang

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 07:31 »
I've only just seen this post.

Something to consider - if the bees were honeybees then they will have built honeycomb - so you'll have wax/pollen/honey/brood in the roof void. This may get into the fabric of the house - indeed if the roof space is uninsulated the comb could get very hot next summer and could collapse and the honey could seep into the surrounding brick/plaster etc. Now the weather has cooled the combwill attract vermin (mice and bigger...).

Still it was the distress of having to destroy an inaccessible colony in a very unsuitable place that got me back into beekeeping.

SS

splash101

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 08:04 »
The bees didnt stay for long and didnt reach epic numbers.  :)

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 10:11 »
Just had a quick skim through... don't worry about Bee insurance and that is a standard inclusion when you become a member of the Bee Society/Assoc.

I'd love to keep bee's but the wife is divorce-papers against it! (For the right reasons, I s'pose, we have children running around all the time....)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 10:12 by Kevin67 »
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

xx
Bee Keeping question please help

Started by fallen angel on Pets without Feathers

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 21:01
by spottymint
xx
A fishy question

Started by Paul Plots on Pets without Feathers

8 Replies
Last post October 04, 2011, 00:08
by Paul Plots
xx
question for cat owners

Started by karlooben on Pets without Feathers

14 Replies
Last post December 06, 2009, 10:04
by chickenlady
xx
Dog food question

Started by elibump on Pets without Feathers

5 Replies
Last post January 09, 2011, 16:16
by Elaine J

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 34 queries.