Best crumble topping

• 10 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Best crumble topping
« on: April 01, 2014, 11:53 »
Going to make my first rhubarb crumble of the year tonight and would like your opinions on the bestest ever crumble topping... I have complete and unwavering faith in the wisdom of the forumites  :D
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

compostqueen

Re: Best crumble topping
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 18:45 »
I like Hugh Fernly-W's crumble made on a flat tray in the oven. It makes loads  :tongue2:   I think it's billed as "independent crumble"  Feel free to add your own fave things to it :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 18:48 »
I use Delia's recipe which is straightforward, but instead of the soft brown sugar if you use muscovado sugar it's browner and tastier.

I made her rhubarb crumble at the weekend: simmer with some sugar and ground ginger for a while until the pieces of rhubarb are soft but not mushy, discard half of the liquid, and cook at 180 C for 30-40 mins.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Debz

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 09:10 »
I start with a basic flour, butter and sugar combination but will quite often add in some porridge oats, chopped nuts and ground cinamon for a bit of variety and a change of texture.

Springlands

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 09:42 »
I use Delia's recipe which is straightforward, but instead of the soft brown sugar if you use muscovado sugar it's browner and tastier.

I made her rhubarb crumble at the weekend: simmer with some sugar and ground ginger for a while until the pieces of rhubarb are soft but not mushy, discard half of the liquid, and cook at 180 C for 30-40 mins.

Yumm - that is my favourite one.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 10:03 »
I went with Delia's in the end - was well yum  :D Might give Hugh's a bash for the next one... thanks chaps  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 13:28 »
I went with Delia's in the end - was well yum  :D Might give Hugh's a bash for the next one... thanks chaps  :)

A bit of ground ginger in there goes well with the rhubarb  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 17:23 »
I like my crumble topping the other way round - melt some butter (about the size of an egg - or more) in a bowl, add a handful of brown sugar and stir until mixed and just a bit runny, add enough quick cook oats to suit the pan, a tbsp or two of flour, and some ground nut meal (for sweetening without the calories) and mix well.  Mmmm, very tasty.

The above recipe is not exact and works however you want to alter it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2014, 18:00 »
groundnut meal is quite difficult to get hold of in the UK and expensive when you do find it  :(

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2014, 22:36 »
That's too bad. I think we get it cheap because ones that are too small to sell as pieces are sent to the grinder. It does improve the flavour a lot, but my topping can be made without the nuts. A spot of vanilla can be substituted.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 10:08 »
I did one the other day with orange zest and juice, cinnamon and honey in with the rhubarb, and ground almonds, oats, chopped cashews and flaked almonds in the topping. It was the best rhubarb crumble I've ever tasted. My husband made home-made custard to go with it.  :tongue2:
My only problem now is how to avoid the 'furry-teeth' effect it always leaves me with  :( - just going to do a search on that subject now....
Rachael

xx
crumble topping

Started by LILLILEAF on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post September 05, 2017, 18:15
by snowdrops
xx
Better crumble topping.

Started by Lardman on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

14 Replies
Last post November 19, 2021, 11:41
by mrs bouquet
xx
Crumble mix.

Started by hayles62 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2007, 23:01
by Ice
xx
Crumble ??

Started by SG6 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 17:24
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 36 queries.