"Nature Watch (other than birds)"

• 487 Replies

DanielCoffey

• Experienced Member
Re: "Nature Watch (other than birds)"
« Reply #480 on: June 21, 2018, 15:56 »
Was checking the building for Swallow's nests and spotted this unwelcome colony instead... persistent little devils kept coming back even while I was trying to wash the remains off the underside of the eaves.

There were one and a half decks of comb inside, pretty full of larvae. A few dozen adults were attending them too. At least the robins and blackbirds had a feast for their youngsters.
Wasps.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #481 on: July 01, 2018, 19:28 »
We have lots of caterpillars on the plot eating all the groundsel.  They were around last year as well, but they only eat weeds, so I don't mind them. 

There are also loads of pollen beatles.  How many exactly fit in a pumpkin flower - errrr many seems to be the answer  :lol:

Then I discovered someone looking very relaxed in a pot at home.  There are bulbs in here that came out of a larger container and have died down.  I'm keeping the compost moist so they don't dry out, but someone thinks it is for his benefit instead  :D
IMG_2561.JPG
IMG_2562.JPG
IMG_2559.JPG
« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 19:29 by New shoot »

8doubles

« Reply #482 on: July 03, 2018, 08:09 »
We have lots of caterpillars on the plot eating all the groundsel.  They were around last year as well, but they only eat weeds, so I don't mind them. 

There are also loads of pollen beatles.  How many exactly fit in a pumpkin flower - errrr many seems to be the answer  :lol:

Then I discovered someone looking very relaxed in a pot at home.  There are bulbs in here that came out of a larger container and have died down.  I'm keeping the compost moist so they don't dry out, but someone thinks it is for his benefit instead  :D
Cinnebar moth caterpillars ?
As the colours show they are not good for froggy to eat ! :)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #483 on: July 03, 2018, 09:58 »
Cinnebar moth caterpillars ?
As the colours show they are not good for froggy to eat ! :)

That rings a bell.  Sunshineband saw them on my plot last year and I think that is what she said  :)

Froggy is at home, so he won't be eating any.  I have a wildlife pond where most of the webbed fraternity hang out, but this one has moved to the mud baths  :lol:

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #484 on: July 09, 2018, 20:20 »
We have just spent the last 5 minutes watching a hedgehog wandering around the garden. We have an upturned rubbish bin lid full of water and spotted hedgehog as it moved away from there, had a good look around the tomatoes and disappeared among the Jerusalem artichokes. Now I know where the strange bits of poo that started to appear a week ago have come from.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #485 on: July 17, 2018, 13:41 »
Just spotted a Jersey Tiger Moth, a very pretty creature. Sorry no camera to take a picture.

DanielCoffey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #486 on: July 23, 2018, 07:46 »
I had an unexpected encounter late last night... a neighbour's house alarm triggered and stayed on so I went out to investigate. While I phoned the alarm activation in to the local boys in blue (the owners were out of the house it seemed), I prowled the outside looking for signs of forced entry but there were none.

We had suffered a short power cut in the area for a few seconds about half an hour previously so one neighbour thought perhaps their breakers had tripped, resulting in the alarm triggering onto battery. He said he had a key (but not the alarm code) and would check the consumer unit. While he went off to get the key, a movement caught my eye.

Inside a ground floor conservatory window was a dark object about two inches in length. I had an LED worklight with me so I looked closer. Inside the room behind the blinds was a Pipistrelle bat... inside the house.

There was probably an upstairs window cracked open for ventilation so I called the Police and let them know it was not an incident that needed their attendance. Then it was off to my house for gloves, a bag and something to reach up for it. The owners have a very young girl so there was all the clutter that comes with having a three year old for it to hide in.

I shut it into the kitchen and made two attempts to coax it into the bag to no avail. It took off and moved under things. A Thomas the Tank Engine 4-piece jigsaw puzzle frightened it so much it started flying round the kitchen and flopped down on top of the units. One clear plastic bowl and a "Furry Pets Sticker Book" and it was secured!

Pipistrelles are really small when landed - about an inch wide, an inch and a half long and covered in really fine fur. Tiny little eyes too. They are audible when making chirps. I took it outside and released it.

Adventure over... and when they are back they can close that window!

DanielCoffey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #487 on: October 05, 2018, 20:16 »
This tiny little Common Toad was warming himself on the tarmac yesterday. It was about 2cm from nose to butt and let me get really close!

I was quite surprised by the colour as most of the adults I have seen round here are much duller than this.
CommonToad.jpg

moved
MOVED: Strange "growth" on a rose.

Started by mumofstig on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post July 14, 2018, 14:20
by mumofstig
moved
MOVED: Spreading "poo" and digging it in?

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post January 04, 2018, 11:30
by JayG
xx
"Spring cleaning" the garden !!

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 20:06
by mrs bouquet
xx
"Children's favourites"...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

30 Replies
Last post August 27, 2018, 08:59
by Veg Plot 1B

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 38 queries.