Stopping a broody being broody

• 19 Replies

ehs284

Re: Stopping a broody being broody
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 19:23 »
We've two bantams (sisters) that go broody together and stay that way for weeks. One year I tried dunking, but after several days it wasn't working and I decided it was just cruel, so now they have a big box in their own area, but they go back in at night to be with the others.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2013, 12:57 »
Hi ANHBUC.
I don't let her sit all the time, but yes she has lost some condition but what can I do???. I put her out and shut her out of the hen house, so she is eating and drinking. Mostly she wanders about just waiting for an opportunity to get back in as soon as I open up if one of the others wants to lay!
This is the same hen that I posted about earlier in the year. When she was just wandering following the other two and not eating much. She appeared to be in a trance half the time and laid eggs on the grass with no shell, then she did pick up and began to lay properly in the nest box and after about 3/4 weeks she then went broody and still is.
Now one of the others ( a Pekin) has also gone broody with her >:(
Poor Lotty the Wyandotte is having to wander about on her own looking a bit lost.
Sadly I have to say this chicken keeping isn't all its cracked up to be  :wacko: Pardon the pun!!
And I am sick to death of rats!!!!!!!! I don't leave food down at night. I am very careful where I throw corn or treats for them. In fact I have begun to put everything into bowls for them and lift them all up when I go to shut them in for the night.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2013, 13:27 »
I usually lift my broody off her eggs, put her on my arm then I put my arm up and down so she flaps her wings to balance.  This gets her out of the trance so she eats, drinks and does a huge poo.  You could do this a few times a day to see if it helps snap her out of it.  Do let us know if it works or not.   :)

Don't have any signs of rats here but you would be best to trap and dispose of them as they carry horrid diseases.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2013, 17:50 »
Oh don't worry we do our best to eliminate the rats but it seems to be a never ending problem. they are digging runs and tunnels all near to the hen house, which we moved away from near our house because of them. We've moved their house to the end of the garden and put it on paving slabs so at least rats cannot get into there. We had put their house near our back door as it was all paved so knew it was secure but it was awful having to look out of the back door sometimes a nd see a big brown rodent ferreting about!!! :ohmy:
Unfortunately on Thursday, one of our dogs managed to get her nose under some wire mesh, that was preventing the dogs getting to some rat killer bait, downa bit of a tunnel that the rat had made, and I caught her eating a block of it!!!
 Managed to get her away from most of the block, then rushed her to the vets, with the bait box, who gave her an injection to make her vomit up everything out of her stomach. As I was so quick at getting her to the vet it hadn't had time to get ingested so she brough up all that she'd swallowed which was about 1/4 of the block. thank goodness its blue coloured so we saw it easily. She then had to have a big injection of vit. K to ensure her blood clots and she is on vit. K tablets for the next 3 weeks with a possible blood test to see if it is clotting ok :wacko: Belt and braces!!! :blush:
I really didn't need that happening to her. she is 14 years old and I am not losing her to rat poison!!!
I'm thinking if I can find a very good free range home,I will let somebody have them for free. Any takers??

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2013, 20:10 »
Sorry you are having so much trouble with the rats.  You would be better with a trap that kills without bait.

If you really want to rehome them you can put them in the Poultry Swap Shop.  Just list what birds they are, their ages and what you would like to swap for if anything at all.   :)

xx
Stopping her being broody

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 16:30
by sneezer
xx
Stopping a Broody hen

Started by Fiona55 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 10:21
by jhub
xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls

Page created in 0.215 seconds with 35 queries.