Allotment & Plot sizes

• 19 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Allotment & Plot sizes
« on: September 18, 2006, 07:45 »
Hi All,

I am in need of some dimensions!

Can any of you provide me with details as to the physical size of the average plot, ie length and width; the widths of dividing paths between plots and the width of the main walkways down the middle; and the number of plots in an average allotment site

Anyone who can email me a plan drawing, that would be much appreciated.

The reason i ask - i am working on the parish council to get them to open a site, they have asked me to provide more accurate details of the land required.

It also falls on me to petition local landowners for sale or lease of land for a site, and local residents to gain numbers of prospective plotholders.

If i get lots of data from you all i will average it out. If i can go back to the parish council with figures and a rough idea of costs we have more chance of getting them to open the site!

Martin

martin.barfield@arqiva.com
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 19:45 »
Plot sizes seem to vary between councils but the standard is 10 poles - 252 square metres. So, 50M x 5m or 25M x 10 M

I'm sure I read something about the size in one of the government reports - there are links to them from this site.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 11:15 »
I think our's is around 10m x 25m. It says somewhere in our contract that we must keep a path clear around our plot of 18inches wide all the way around. The main pathways are about 2 metres wide maybe? Easily wide enough to drive a car down - some people do this if they need to offload large things. There's these wide pathways every other row (so one row of plots, a large pathway, two rows of plots with only 18inch paths inbetween them then another large row etc)
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

Celtic Eagle

• The Eagle's Nest
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2006, 12:50 »
There are 8 usable plots left on our site either side of the main path which is about 8 feet wide, there are no paths between plots as they are all accessed from the main path.  Size is a bit wierd as is shape they vary from about 17 yards by 17 yards upto about 15 yards by 50 yards  I'll draw a rough plan up scan it in and post it tomorrow. There is no water on the site and it certainly isn't flat the plots on the east side need absieling gear and crampons!!!  I'm lucky my plot on the west side only drops away about 7 foot in the 60 foot width.

Hope this helps

Good Luck
Blessed Be
Celtic Eagle

Everything grows green for a Celt

Mostly organic 'cept weedkiller and slugs

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 07:48 »
Cheers People, thats great.

The path info is particularly usefull, i can develop a rough plan and calculate a required land area. Going to allow a 1m border for fencing to be installed.

How many plots are in everyones sites?, and how does that compare to the size/population of your areas?

I was considering the idea of 5m x 50m plots, for ease of access and ease of planning, with some plots divided into half size plots, and a communal area near the gate (for incinerator, compost bins etc, and hopefully a hut!), a central wide path big enough to allow vehicle access (ideally only for those having heavy/bulky things delivered, or for disabled access), and a narrow walkway between each plot suitable for a wheelbarrow width.

With this in mind, a land area about the size of a football pitch should be ample, and my favoured location just happens to be next to the village football/recreation ground. Whether the farmer will sell the land is another matter. Of course all this is my plan and subject to radical change in planning.

'No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy'

I should be talking to the selby Times reporter tomorrow

does anyone know a 'working' web address for the shell Better Britain Campaign?

Martin

dobby

• http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spiritwolf
average plot
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2006, 09:22 »
Our Plot is 10 meters wide by 25 meters deep but our council offer half plots as well
Take care, keep safe n may your crops grow strong!
Dobby
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/spiritwolf

wellingtons

Well mine ...
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2006, 11:49 »
... is 10 rods (which is the same as a pole apparently).  That's what I pay for, which in old money means it's 32ft by 82ft, BUT somehow or other at some point in the proceedings mine had grown, cos mine is 32ft by about 110ft ... I seem to have nicked a bit of the one behind me.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2006, 15:46 »
Well done Wellingtons! sneek a bit in when you can...

Ive just had a phone call fromt he Selby Times reporter, the photographer is coming tomorrow. Not entirely sure what he's going to photograph. My garden plot is only around 10ft x 15ft! mind you, it has got some nice seedlings in it

The idea of course is to say 'this is all the space i have, i need more'

So there should be an article in next weeks selby times, and hopefully then i can start getting interested people and prospective land owners together.

I have dimensions now, but still need an 'average' number of plots in a site? i can draw up a plan then

Martin

noshed

Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 16:18 »
I think ours has about 75 plots. The council call this "medium". NSALG might be able to help with this.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 16:25 »
My plot is 30 by 7 metres and is a medium sized plot. We have small, medium and large plots.
There are 116 plots plus car parking, an orchard and a hazel copse. There is also a small bit of land around the site shop for the allotment competion etc.
The path, which is a rough circle, is wide enough for delivery lorries.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 16:29 »
that could be a bit big for our purposes! sounds a cracking site though

I was thinking around the 40 plot mark, with 10 of them subdivided to provide 20 half plots, so 50 in total. I think that should be enough for a rural village

I dont quite know where 40 came from, just sort of popped into my head

Martin

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 16:36 »
It is a big site :D  
It was a choice between telling you about mine or tell you about my mum's but i thought mine would give you a better idea than my mum's, her allotment site has 2 that's right 2 allotments on it !!

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 16:36 »
bet theres a long waiting list!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2006, 17:04 »
My Dad's allotment site only had 2 allotments on it, as it was the area under and around a pylon.  He had both plots and they cost him 10 shillings a year rent!!!!  And it was right next to our house!!!

legendaryone

• Experienced Member
Allotment & Plot sizes
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2006, 17:14 »
My mum's is also at the end of her garden, in fact the allotment site does not have a public path leading to it, so to have an allotment there your garden must back onto it or you would have no way of getting to it :wink:

xx
Allotment plot sizes

Started by Stratts on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2011, 20:23
by Kristen
xx
allotment bed sizes.

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 10:08
by noshed
xx
Bed sizes

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 22:22
by Junie
xx
pot sizes

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 23:07
by Kristen

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 35 queries.