Tarpaflex sheeting

• 6 Replies

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
Tarpaflex sheeting
« on: April 15, 2013, 20:00 »
Hi there,

I have acquired lots of tarpaflex sheeting http://www.tarpaflex.co.uk/acatalog/Scaffold_Sheeting.html and was thinking of making a lean to greenhouse/polytunnel with it.

It says 70% light penetration so would anyone know whether this would be any good?

I'm thinking of making a timber frame and sheeting the inside and outside to keep it warmer in winter, but would this let too little light in?

Any tips or advise would be welcome!

yaxley

Re: Tarpaflex sheeting
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 22:10 »
Well reading the link you had put up they say it is used as poytunnel covering and at 70 % light i think it would be ok think two layers may cut the light too much though there will be a few people on here to give you there opion ...
Grow organic as nature intended

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 00:35 »
If there's a 30% loss with one layer would there be a 60% loss with two layers? Almost definitely not.... especially if there's a gap between the two layers.

Try a small wooden frame covered on both sides as an experiment.. If you've loads you could start off with a cold-frame and then make your decision about using it on a larger framed construction using this as a guide.

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

seaside

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 20:48 »
70% light transmission sounds a bit low to me, let alone doubling it up, and it doesn't sound like it's treated ( why would it be on scaffold ? )
I decided to self build a greenhouse 18months ago. Given the price of off the shelf greenhouses, and the not inconsiderable price of decent UV treated plastic if one wanted to go down the poly tunnel route, I decided to build a greenhouse with treated 2 x 2 timber.
The only answer for me was the 4mm UV treated polycarbonate. It allows just about 90% light penetration and no need for doubling up, as it has  excellent insulation properties when compared with glass or plastic sheeting.
I've been delighted with my choice, strong, hard wearing, ample light, no need for shading in the high Summer, and insulated well in Winter. The polycarbonate is cheap enough, roughly £40 for 10 x 1200mm x 600mm sheets ... easy to fix to the timbers.

Elmarto

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 21:23 »
Thanks for the replies,

It was a temporary storage facility for some kit we were building at work and now the job is complete it is spare. It is very robust and free!

We also have plenty of timber at work so I got quite a lot of 3x2 that I am going to use.

I think I shall construct the frame and then maybe look into the sheeting. It's going to be an ongoing project as I have my garlic where I shall be putting the greenhouse.

finleyfreyaseth

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 03:40 »
if its free justuse it and see nothing ventured nothin gained

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 05:49 »
The only answer for me was the 4mm UV treated polycarbonate.

The polycarbonate is cheap enough, roughly £40 for 10 x 1200mm x 600mm sheets ... easy to fix to the timbers.

That's cheap where did you source it from?

xx
Scaffold sheeting

Started by Tenhens on Design and Construction

12 Replies
Last post April 01, 2017, 15:36
by mrsbean
xx
Plastic sheeting

Started by greydog on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 19:01
by tode
xx
Plastic Sheeting

Started by utigers on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 17, 2012, 21:27
by angelavdavis
xx
What Gauge of Plastic Sheeting For Poly Tunnel?

Started by Uffda on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post January 11, 2012, 19:28
by grinling

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 36 queries.