Smallhold Farming and Rural Living > Livestock and Growing on a larger scale

cattle Markets

(1/8) > >>

pepsi100:
I have tried all the usual searches (google, MSN, Yahoo)

But are there any cattle markets around ?

They used to be quite common, but the one I used has shut down, years ago (Slough)

I used to go there to buy rabbits, chickens, eggs, in some visits even pet birds

I have had a few suggestions on other pages, but when I try and find a web page for them, they dont have one or the search turns up nothing

Has anyone been to a cattle market in the past (not years ago)

What did they have ? (apart from cattle, sheep, pigs)

I'm trying to find a cattle market that has the smaller live stock, chickens, geese, ducks, rabbits, even hatching eggs

Okay I know that some are just going to be too far for me to get to, but there must be cattle markets out there or even small livestock auctions

Any replies about auctions would really be appreciated

Spana:
They are still there, but you are right ,a lot of markets have disappeared. The old sites are usually in the center of small market towns and inconvenient for the big lorries  of today. Lots have been sold off for housing development because the cost of bringing them up to new regulations is not cost effective.
Sometimes a new market is built on the outskirts of the town with better transport access.

The small animal and plant auctions are sometimes held at a different time/day to the cattle sheep and pigs. Sometimes down here in the evening.

I hate auctions and only go if i have to.

We have a local paper and all forthcoming sales are advertised there. :)

pepsi100:
WOW, I love the auctions, I bought goose eggs from there, they all hatched out, 7 geese followed the kids everywhere, same as rabbits, hens,

All the livestock I saw was well kept, looked good (it had to or they wouldnt sell)

The RSPCA was alway there to make sure everything was fine

Its a real shame these are all shut now though, so where do people sell their small live stock now, they cant all be on EBay  >:(

So where are these auctions held, how do I try and find them (auctions with small livestock, poultry, eggs)

tosca100:
Your local farmer's news paper  (don't know if you have a Farmers Guardian in your area) and Farmers Weekly magazine should have details of sales. Thame still do chickens and plants, depends how far it is from you.

Love Thame, one of my favourite towns in the south.

pepsi100:
Nope, as far as I know there isnt any farmers papers or farmers weekly magazines round here

I looked in the newsagents for this 'farmers weekly' they had never heard of it

Not sure about Thame or how far, but there is always google maps

How often they have their markets ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version