Useless D'Arcy Spice Apple Tree

• 10 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Useless D'Arcy Spice Apple Tree
« on: November 06, 2015, 16:12 »
I planted this in 2007 and it has never given much fruit and this year none, also it does not taste very nice.
Should I give it one more year or kill it?  If one more year what should I do?
http://www.ipernity.com/doc/1491182/40189750//in/album/838230
To be fair to it
a) in 2012 an idiot attacked it and cut a big piece off.  (I was ill and foolish believed that the idiot could garden).
b) there is a pond very near it

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Useless D'Arcy Spice
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 17:40 »
IMO it's not worth hoping/waiting for a better crop, if you don't like the taste anyway.

Take it out and choose one you do like the taste of (rather than one that sounds interesting  :unsure: ) to plant.

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: Useless D'Arcy Spice Apple Tree
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 17:50 »
Have you tasted D'arcy spice anywhere else, if yes then take it out. If not try someone elses before removing. The first couple of crops aren't necessarily a true flavour and the season will also effect the out come.

I would give it a couple of years. It may be that I have got it wrong, but it looks like you have a lot of tall upright growth so it has been busy growing. I would clear underneath, scatter some BFB and mulch. Then deal with the pruning which is easier said then done as it is a partial tip bearer apperently, so will be a couple of years to hopefully get it fruiting.  :)

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 19:23 »
Have you had a look here http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/darcy-spice

I had a quick read and for all it's novelty it doesn't appear to be the easiest tree to get along with  ::) Slow growing, slow to crop, partial tip bearer and a rubbish pollinator  :nowink: Do you have anything else close to help pollinate?

Can you remember what rootstock it's on?

If it's been in 8 years and it's rubbish I think it's a pretty safe bet it will be rubbish in year 9 too.  :(

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 19:42 »
8 years is a long time to faff about with a tree you don't much like.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:40 »
Have you had a look here http://www.orangepippin.com/apples/darcy-spice

I had a quick read and for all it's novelty it doesn't appear to be the easiest tree to get along with  ::) Slow growing, slow to crop, partial tip bearer and a rubbish pollinator  :nowink: Do you have anything else close to help pollinate?

Can you remember what rootstock it's on?

If it's been in 8 years and it's rubbish I think it's a pretty safe bet it will be rubbish in year 9 too.  :(
It is M26 and there is a family tree nearby to help pollinate it with other trees nearby.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 14:43 »

It is M26 and there is a family tree nearby to help pollinate it with other trees nearby.

From what I've been reading lately you may struggle for performance with a wimpy tree on a dwarfing (wimpy) rootstock in less than ideal growing conditions. You can't do much about 2 of those but you could try improving the environment to see if you can give things a kick start.   I'd clear the ground around the base and get a thick layer of manure around it, keep well fed and watered next year. Not a lot is going to happen over winter but it doesn't look an unhealthy tree from the pictures.

I can't see anything improving the taste though and I wouldn't have thought anything environmental could have altered that significantly either - although I stand to be corrected on that.  :unsure:

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2015, 14:38 »
Does it matter what type of manure I use?  I have a tub of chicken manure.  Could (if I get it) just put fresh horse manure down and let it rot?
BTW I live in a suburban street so let me know if that is a bad idea

grinling

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2015, 18:59 »
fresh animal manure should never be used.

You can buy some tub fruit trees,some as a mixture on the same stock and a tub can help to restrict the height.

If chopping it down you could sell the wood as unseasoned as it burns lovely.

AnnieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 22:20 »
Seems to be a bit of a questionable tree. One reference I have says weak growth, another say vigerous growth, a third gives no indication.  ::)

All say that it needs a good hot summer for the fruit to achieve the expected flavour. Long warm or hot summers have been in somewhat short supply over the last few years.

Seems to be a popular Essex variety, which is where it was found and grown, and that area of the UK can get warm dry summers - there is no indication of where the tree is being grown.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2015, 09:40 »
Seems to be a bit of a questionable tree. One reference I have says weak growth, another say vigerous growth, a third gives no indication.  ::)

All say that it needs a good hot summer for the fruit to achieve the expected flavour. Long warm or hot summers have been in somewhat short supply over the last few years.

Seems to be a popular Essex variety, which is where it was found and grown, and that area of the UK can get warm dry summers - there is no indication of where the tree is being grown.
I should have said this is being grown on the edges of South London.

xx
Staking a new apple tree (and a new damson tree)

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 30, 2010, 15:12
by Yorkie
xx
Small damsel tree and apple tree

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 19, 2022, 11:41
by mdjlucan
xx
Apple tree and apple help...

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 09:45
by SG6
xx
apple tree

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 07, 2014, 22:12
by solway cropper

Page created in 0.305 seconds with 36 queries.