Lettuce

• 7 Replies

sclarke624

Lettuce
« on: June 08, 2009, 21:42 »
I wish I had labeled my lettuces properly.  At the time I thought lettuce is lettuce so not really important.  Some are labeled.  The reason I say this is because I have some that grows really nice and is a fat hearted cos but don't know if this is 'Parris Island' or 'Little gem pearl'.  Got a feeling its Parris.  I have some others that really grow poorley and limp and slow which I think is 'Bionda lenta a montare'.  From taste of italy.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

Bozwell

• Experienced Member
Re: Lettuce
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 22:11 »
I got a pack of mixed lettuce seed from Suttons. Webbs, Cos, Iceberg, & Butterhead Fantastic they are too. sowing a few seed every 2 weeks and getting a great selection now. :D
Can you hear voices?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 23:04 »
I wish I had labeled my lettuces properly.  At the time I thought lettuce is lettuce so not really important.  Some are labeled.  The reason I say this is because I have some that grows really nice and is a fat hearted cos but don't know if this is 'Parris Island' or 'Little gem pearl'.  Got a feeling its Parris.  I have some others that really grow poorley and limp and slow which I think is 'Bionda lenta a montare'.  From taste of italy.
Paris Island is cos lettuce Biona lenta is Romaine and little gem is baby cos, they should all be upright crisp lettuce, limp lettuce suggests a 'butterhead' variety....have you sown any of these, or salad bowl of lollo lettuces?  Strange otherwise :(

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:30 »
No I only do cos/romaine and this year iceberg, and I do salad bowl as well.  But i'm sure they aren't mixed up. 

Same happened last year.  I didn't really mean to say I think it is 'Bionda lenta a montare' as I know it is.  Some grow ok but more are poor.  Might as well use packet up now only 900 seeds left afterall, but won't get it again, as the Parris Island one is very good as is the mini green iceberg and Chartwell cos.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 12:29 »
It's annoying when it doesn't 'do what it says on the tin' isn't it  >:(
I had a pkt of rouge d'hiver recommended by Monty as a good winter lettuce for under cloche or cold g/h sposed to be like a cos.......NO got soft pale leaves like a butterhead and mildew :(......very dissapointing!

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 13:40 »
Yep.  But after three years I am beginning to settle on certain varieties, with one or two experiments a year.  The tomatoes being the exception as I have lots not tried before.  As for that pepper I have often discussed Ciliegia Piccante you know is it sweet as T&M said or is it actually a chilli, well They germinate fantastically well, they grow fantastically well but taste of neither.  Tried an almost wrinkled one and a just turned red one.  Won't be getting them again waste of space, funnily enough like the lettuce taste of italy again.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 13:58 »
I've got 'Iranian Round' Big Cherry Chilli from real seeds that i'm trying (they're supposed to be spicey and hot..they've only just started flowering after a late start ::)) But if they're any good...i'll send you some seeds

sclarke624

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 14:12 »
Thanks for that Lesley.

xx
Lettuce

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 31, 2014, 21:18
by Beetroot Queen
xx
lettuce

Started by andyf75 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 16:30
by seaside
xx
Need something different to lettuce

Started by Notty1975 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 09, 2018, 23:23
by Pimento
xx
Lettuce

Started by jarigo on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2008, 14:16
by gobs

Page created in 0.373 seconds with 40 queries.