shallots

• 16 Replies

supervegman

shallots
« on: January 20, 2010, 17:42 »
i put a some jermour sets last few weeks and have covered them with plastic clouched some have already started to sprout is this ok. I try to removed the clouched during tyhe day so they dont rot as well

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: shallots
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 18:07 »
Why plant them if you didn't want them to sprout! :lol:

I wouldn't bother with the cloche at all.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gardener247

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 18:21 »
thats totally perfect they are frost hardy and will grow reali wel.. :blink:

Fisherman

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 19:17 »
Plant a few shallots in January & February and use them as salad onions as they are ready much earlier than sown spring onions i.e. white lisbon. I actually prefer shallots than spring onions but it does seem a bit of a waste not to let them fully develop. However if you can save shallots from one year to the next they end up very inexpensive.

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2010, 10:17 »
I put my Jermor shallots on the back end of last year. They're as tough as old boots.  I've grown these for a few seasons now.  I never have any left to save as I eat them all up fast  :)

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 18:09 »
I grew Jermor shallots last year and they were very good. However, this year I'd really like to grow some of the larger 'banana shallots' that you see in the supermarket.

Are the things called 'banana shallots' in supermakets really shallots, or are they just long thin onions?
Also, can you grow the things called 'banaa shallots' in garden centres to the size that you see in supermarkets, or will they inevitably stay smallish on the allotment?

Sorry if that's a bit confused

chriscross1966

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2010, 04:26 »
Banana shallots are shallots but from memory they're spring sown cos they're not as tough as some others. No reason why you shouldn't beat the supermarket size with homegrown.... If you want a red onion that is similar (though it tastes like an onion, not a shallot) the Long Red Florence would be the thing. Start it off now about 5 seeds to a module in a 24 cell per tray module, harden off in March, plant out at 6"-8" stations (one module per station) in April with some BFB and a bit of compost added to the soil.... you might thin the odd per stationone ( or you could put in 7-8 seeds and know you'll thin the stations) to get 3-4 plants per station.... Harvest August/Sept.... The smaller ones pickle well too...

chrisc

zazen999

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 08:31 »
I grew Jermor shallots last year and they were very good. However, this year I'd really like to grow some of the larger 'banana shallots' that you see in the supermarket.

Are the things called 'banana shallots' in supermakets really shallots, or are they just long thin onions?
Also, can you grow the things called 'banaa shallots' in garden centres to the size that you see in supermarkets, or will they inevitably stay smallish on the allotment?

Sorry if that's a bit confused

Banana Shallots can only be grown from seed.....if you allow more space between them then they should grow bigger - the same with all alliums

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2010, 19:17 »
This is my take on Banana Shallots. So called “Banana Shallots” or “echalions”, are best grown from seed each year. You will get much bigger shallots and they do not go to seed. Again, growing from seed eliminates bringing disease into your plot. Be aware that many of the banana shallots sold in the shops to eat, have been treated with a sprouting inhibitor chemical and will not grow. Even when they do grow, they will split into useless skinny shallots and rapidly run to seed.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2010, 23:23 »
I put my Jermor shallots on the back end of last year. They're as tough as old boots.  I've grown these for a few seasons now.  I never have any left to save as I eat them all up fast  :)

Same for me  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 12:20 »
However if you can save shallots from one year to the next they end up very inexpensive.

so the few kg of shallots I have left from last year's harvest - which are still firm and edible etc - can be re-planted this year?
"Set down the wine and the dice and perish the thought of tomorrow"

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 12:21 »
I think that's what Fisherman said! :lol:

Jonajo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2010, 12:27 »
ah I will try that. I am sure someone on the plot claimed that that is not successful in terms of yield but I will give it a go. Nothing to lose

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 12:56 »
Use good firm bulbs of similar size to bought ones (varies with variety) and there is no reason why they won't do as well (shallots aren't heat-treated like some onion sets, so there's no real difference).

My main problem in the last few years is getting them to store well; think it's the poor summers plus numerous sets being subdivided into more than one bulb (very hard to dry properly) and often thicker and more numerous skins than normal (ditto)

Mostly grow Mikor and Vigarmor, both of which are reputed to be good keepers.

Anyone else had/has solved this problem?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2010, 13:18 »
Mine have kept really well this year without any special attention. (Golden Gourmet). I've just finished pickling the last few and only had to throw a couple away. I offer no explanation as they've just been kept in a box in the garage.

As usual I've bought my shallots from a local garden centre as they don't cost an arm and a leg from there loose, but I've got  6 shallots saved that are way too big to go into a jar when peeled, that I intend growing on. It will be interesting to compare.

xx
Shallots

Started by Tom Hill on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 24, 2012, 11:50
by Tom Hill
xx
Shallots

Started by Silkworm on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post February 20, 2014, 23:02
by Robster
xx
shallots

Started by juliec on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 11:38
by JayG
xx
shallots

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 16, 2017, 09:51
by Salmo

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 39 queries.