Can Hens Crow?

• 16 Replies

henamoured

• Experienced Member
Re: Can Hens Crow?
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 16:41 »
Compost heaps do attract vermin. Where this has an impact on neighbours, in areas of high-density housing for example, the most responsible course of action is to either make the heap totally impregnable to vermin, or to make other arrangements for waste-management. If this means no compost heap, then so be it.

Re. compost heaps - I suppose its smelliness/vermin attraction does depend on what you put on it. Mine are in dalek type bins and I've never noticed any smell even with chicken droppings.
I think if you get a good mix of material then the heap will not smell.
To rectify a smelly heap try putting on a 'lid' of grass cuttings which soon rot down into a thick mulch and seal the heap, thus warming it up and helping to get the smelly stage over with quickly.

Swing Swang

Re: Can Hens Crow?
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2010, 07:10 »
henamoured - I quite agree, a well constructed heap is not foul-smelling. Indeed it may even have a 'sweet' aroma. In my experience a heap's 'smelliness' has little bearing on its attractivness to vermin - there's so much else that they like that a well constructed heap provides - warmth, worms, and in some cases dryness. Rats don't like to be wet, so regular watering, as well as all of the other methods available does seem to help.

SS

question
Something to Crow about?

Started by chicken rocket on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 11:32
by chicken rocket
xx
Is my 3wk old barnvelder trying to crow???

Started by babaloo151070 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 08:09
by babaloo151070
xx
crow warning!!

Started by scotty on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 12:33
by jamima
xx
Duckling Crow Threat

Started by darrena on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 20:36
by darrena

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 38 queries.