Red Onions

• 10 Replies

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Red Onions
« on: December 22, 2008, 21:59 »
:? last two seasons i have grown red onions from sets and both times they have gone to seed, does anyone recomend a red onion that i can grow from seed,and one that stores well  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Red Onions
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 22:56 »
Sorry can't help cos mine have done the same :evil:  :evil:  even when white ones have been ok. Think they must like it warmer than the last few years have been :(

Just keep trying i suppose

compostqueen

Red Onions
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 23:20 »
my lotty mate has suggested we're planting them too early so he's decreed we need plant them after May, so that's what we're doing as a bit of an experiment. Red Baron that is

pushrod

Red Onions
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2008, 23:23 »
Look for ones that have been heat treated, surprisingly the smaller bulbs are less likely to produce a flowering stalk (people often chose the bigger sets to plant) and make sure they never get dry in the summer. I had two patches of the same set and one patch all produced flowering stalks and the others didn't. I think it was down to one of them not being within reach of the hose. Even if they do send up a flowering stalk just snap it off straight away. you still get a usable onion it just won't keep as well.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

senrab_nhoj

• Experienced Member
Red Onions
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2008, 13:47 »
Quote from: "compostqueen"
my lotty mate has suggested we're planting them too early so he's decreed we need plant them after May, so that's what we're doing as a bit of an experiment. Red Baron that is

That's exactly what the old boy on the allotment told me
Grandpa's lore: The only thing grown early is disappointment

compostqueen

Red Onions
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2008, 15:47 »
Oh good  :D   Hope it's going to be the best ever crop  :D Only managed to get a few into store this year  :(

Nogger

• Experienced Member
Red Onions
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2008, 22:45 »
:)  cheer's all, i think i will be giving red barron seeds a try this year :wink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Red Onions
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2008, 22:57 »
Nogger, do you mean you're gonna grow from seed rather than sets. If so do you think this is a better bet for getting a good crop?  I was wondering whether to try seeds for all my onions this year.
Can't be any harder than leeks....can it?....Says she hopefully :lol:  :lol:

Salmo

Red Onions
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2008, 00:13 »
Onions from seed need a long growing season. Either start in modules or be ready to drill as soon as ever you can get on the soil. I am talking of mid Feb onwards so only on light soil. Drill after the end of March you will probably only produce picklers.

All the old hands say onions from seed look nothing until Derby Day, about 6th June. It is a long time to nurture and hoe tiny seedlings.

Sets are easier, seed is more of a challenge and the onions do keep better.

cawdor2001

• Experienced Member
Red Onions
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2008, 11:43 »
From previous posts on the site there does not seem to be much difference between seed and sets wrt bolting, it is just a personal preference on which to use.  I grew Red Baron last year and like my white variety they started to bolt, i just snipped off the bolting shoot as soon as i saw it and they were fine.  Have stored relatively well so far, i just check the nets every now and then and take out any that appear to be going soft and eat those first, in fact going to go and get a couple in a bit to put inside the Turkey tomorrow (Courtesy of Grannie Annie, the turkey that is not the onions  :D )

Cawdor
Used to be indecisive, now i'm not so sure...

shaun

Red Onions
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2008, 12:26 »
tried lots of types of red onions and for some reason or another mine just wont store well,i would be lucky if they lasted upto november
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Page created in 0.461 seconds with 39 queries.