Another poorly hen

• 6 Replies

alexroyall85

Another poorly hen
« on: May 25, 2018, 19:03 »
Evening all

The chicken I was asking about the other just that sadly died. Being my first one to go was a real slap in the face. She was a Norfolk grey. When I had her in her own coop she seemed much better.
As I was down at the allotment tonight another Norfolk grey of which there is now 2 is showing similar signs to the last one. As with the other there are no visible signs as to what is happening with her. She is on her own now but still in sight of the other hens. She is the smallest in the flock now , and I’m sure it’s bullying as no other symptoms are present. Any thoughts on this would be great fully received.

Many thanks

Alex

Toosje

• Experienced Member
Re: Another poorly hen
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2018, 20:41 »
I really have no idea Alex. I looked at your previous posts and saw that in februari your hens had dirty bums. The last hen you asked about didn't drink: nor eat? Have tried to feed her or let her drink?

Did you manage to solve the dirty bum problem? Have you had the other hen checked by the vet for some obvious 'hen things' like worms, cocodiosis..
Does her ... the little bag where all the foods comes first.. empty during the night or is she badly digesting?

If you are wright/right and the problem is bullying, wouldn't it be more logical/a good idea to find out who's the main bullier and separate her in stead of the hen that is being bullied?

I hope she picks up and doesn't leave like the last hen.

ghost61

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 20:58 »
Have you checked your coop for red mite?  Losing one hen followed by another is an indication.  Look for grey mites - they are not always red.  Good luck!

grinling

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 23:21 »
How old are your hens?
Were they vaccinated?
Colour/consistency or poo?
Temperature under wings consistent with all the flock?
Eyes clear/ breathing clear?
What do you feed them/ has it got wet/ is the food hung higher than a bucket?
Mice/rats?
Egg production?

Mr R Design

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2018, 06:22 »
I will also add this in to the equation albeit not pleasant.

Is everyone at the allotment happy about the chickens or is there any possibility of poison being used?

I think a vet is needed either now or after another demise so at least you know what is going on.

alexroyall85

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 15:49 »
Hi

This is all very strange as this morning when I went to the chickens she was fine. Also thought I would check on her after work at 1pm and again fine.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 16:55 »
It is odd, but if it were me, I would start a systematic check of everything and everyone. 

Starting with the coop and run, I would check for red mites, signs of rodents getting in and give everything a really good clean.

With the birds, check for general body condition, feather mites, worm them if you haven't done it recently and if you do get another one looking poorly, I would get a vet to look at them, just in case there is something  infectious in the flock.

With their feed, check it is dry, there are no signs of rodents having been in it and that it doesn't smell musty.  It might also be worth checking if anyone on your site is feeding them stuff.  People can have very odd ideas of what chickens eat - long grass, leftovers or bread might be making them ill, especially if they stuff themselves with it. 

I hope all is well and you have no more worries with them, but no harm checking things out  :)

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
my fav hen is poorly

Started by shetan on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 17:22
by ANHBUC
xx
Another Very poorly hen; can anyone help?

Started by NewtoChickens on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post January 25, 2012, 10:00
by compostqueen
xx
Not sure if i have a poorly hen.

Started by TamCal on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 16:37
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 40 queries.