double yolker

• 2 Replies

stujem

double yolker
« on: September 24, 2010, 23:15 »
I have 3 hybird browns (warrens I think they are called? ? ) my girl(s) have layed every day since 3 weeks of having them, ( stated of with one egg a day then around 4 weeks I was getting 2 a day and then around 5 weeks I'm having 3 a day every day  :) (they were 18 month old on 31 July 2010). Yesurday I only had 2 eggs, but today one of the 3 eggs was very very large, it was a double yolker, in total I have had 4 double yolkers is this ok for young birds to lay double yolkers, is this girl ok to miss a day just to have a double yolker the next day?
Stu

VeggieVirgin

• Experienced Member
Re: double yolker
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 23:18 »
Hi stujem,

Young hens often lay double-yolkers - when mine started laying, a lot of the eggs - though small - had two yolks. I still get the odd monster-sized double-yolker now. I don't think it's anything to worry about.

hillfooter

Re: double yolker
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 01:56 »
Yes it can happen and doesn't necessarily cause a problem though there's always an increased risk of egg binding or prolapse with very large eggs.  However if your birds have now been laying for a month or two with no problems it's unlikely to be a problem now.  There's nothing that you can do to regulate their laying patern other than ensure they get the proper layers nutrition regularly during the day and fresh water and don't get fed treats until the evening and don't chop and change their routine.
HF
Truth through science.

xx
First Double Yolker!

Started by Porffor on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2008, 16:08
by Porffor
xx
Double yolker!!!!!

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 09:32
by compostqueen
xx
yippeee my 1st double yolker!

Started by kattcottrell on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 23:23
by kattcottrell
xx
Treacles Double Yolker

Started by Jellyhead on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 19:06
by babe

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 35 queries.