Red spider mites!

• 2 Replies

gchadfield

Red spider mites!
« on: October 06, 2011, 09:06 »
After 3-4 years of thinking the peppers, cucumbers, melons and courgettes in my greenhouse were suffering due to some kind of deficiency (yellow mottled leaves that eventually go crispy and die), This year the grape vines and new peach tree were also attacked.

Finally a few sentences in a grape growing booklet pointed towards red spider mites and sure enough, there they were. How do I kill them!? some so called "ultimate bug killer" had little effect.

As this is a large greenhouse that is also used as a laundry drying room, is there anything less smelly than Jeyes fluid to spray the greenhouse down with in the winter to kill any bugs/diseases that is safe on dormant vines / trees

What can be used in the summer that is safe on fruit/veg to kill these destructive micro monsters!?

Any advice greatly appreciated and my comiserations to anyone with these pests in their own greenhouse.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Red spider mites!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 17:59 »
Welcome to the site  :D

The RHS has some advice on this pest here.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gchadfield

Re: Red spider mites!
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 16:31 »
I think I've sorted it !!!!!!!
one bit of advice found was to keep things moist, I had been using an automatic watering system that fed water to the base of each plant, allowing the surrounding soil to dry out and be a breeding ground for the little sods, this year I have been watering the entire surface of soil and I gave it a spray with insecticide early in the year, so far no sign of attack and I have wonderfully healthy plants.

xx
Larger than red spider mites?

Started by Bohobumble on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post April 12, 2015, 22:56
by Bohobumble
xx
Red Spider Mite

Started by meriad on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post September 05, 2018, 19:47
by Lardman
angry
Spider mite

Started by Lardman on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

0 Replies
Last post October 14, 2014, 19:40
by Lardman
sad
Red Spider Mite in my greenhouse?

Started by MichelleC on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 20:24
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 38 queries.