Euonymus "Emerald and Green" Pruning advice please

• 3 Replies

mrs bouquet

Euonymus "Emerald and Green" Pruning advice please
« on: August 21, 2018, 13:44 »
This pretty shrub, has got out of shape, and needs a good hard prune back.   How far back can I go.  Is it alright to cut into the brown wood, or must I leave some leaves there ?   (It has to be done because the post where it is growing needs to be replaced.)    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Euonymus "Emerald and Green" Pruning advice please
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 14:18 »
I've got several cultivars of variegated evergreen Euonymus which came with the house almost 20 years ago - although not planned, 4 or 5 of them have morphed into a rather attractive low hedge at the front of my front garden.

I've trimmed and hacked at all of them over the years (especially the one which persists in escaping into the privet hedge) and they seem to keep coming back whatever I do.

It's probably the case that you should wait until late winter/early spring before undertaking really drastic pruning so that new shoots don't get frost damaged, but it sounds as if you need to do it now so will have to take a slight chance on that.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 19:43 »
I cut one of mine right back, leaving nothing but a few 2" think stumps  8" long,  it was fine if a little scruffy for a season. If you're worried take some cuttings now - they root very easily and if it doesn't go well just replace the original.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 20:07 »
One or two of our Euonymus came from the Chelsea Flower Show (ahem ) back in the seventies...

It's a forgiving shrub and will rediscover its former glory however you bash it down, so do what you need to do, and as other chums here say, it'll look a bit grumpy for a while, but it won't be for long!

We love them, they are just gorgeous colour and shape in odd places here and there in the garden!

Might even go out there for a few more cuttings now you mention it...

xx
Salvia "Flower Child" and "Rose Queen"

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post July 09, 2020, 15:15
by mrs bouquet
xx
A friendly stork has brought me a Rosa "Sharifa Asma"

Started by JayG on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 15, 2010, 20:00
by JayG
xx
Turning over turf and soil "easily" (without machinery)

Started by RichardY on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 22, 2016, 12:08
by Growster...
xx
Senecio Candidans "Angels Wings"

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post February 28, 2021, 12:00
by mrs bouquet

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 35 queries.