saffron

• 14 Replies

Grubbypaws

saffron
« on: December 28, 2015, 15:06 »
I planted lots of bulbs this year. They have all come up but not a single flower. Have I done something wrong?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: saffron
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 17:25 »
I planted lots of bulbs this year. They have all come up but not a single flower. Have I done something wrong?

The bulbs can take two years to reach flowering size, so next year all should be well. The leaves will  die away and reappear late Summer... with flower buds too I hope.

Mine are newly planted and only grew leaves too.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 17:31 »
When did you plant them, how big were they and how deep/close together did you plant them? Are they in the ground or in a planter? How did you prep the ground?

None of my tiny bulbs flowered this year, only half of the medium sized ones gave 1-2 flowers, and the largest ones produced 3-4 flowers each.

PS flowering next year is influenced by this year's care - now's a good time to feed the bulbs so they bulk up for next year.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 17:33 by surbie100 »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 17:42 »
Thanks for that tip Surbie. I shall give them some Sulphate of Potash next time I visit :D

Grubbypaws

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 12:27 »
I have some high potash granular feed that I use for my clematis. Is this OK to use or should I get some liquid tomato food?

Trikidiki

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 13:21 »
I am a bit late planting my bulbs, the instructions say up to December but my guess is we haven't had December yet.

The bulbs arrived this week with last years flower stalks still attached so I know they are old enough to flower. Hopefully they can catch up with their spring foliage and with a good feed, hopefully, more flowers in the Autumn.

surbie100

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 14:39 »
I have some high potash granular feed that I use for my clematis. Is this OK to use or should I get some liquid tomato food?

I'd have thought that the tomato food would leach through fairly quickly with all the rain we're having. I used a granular feed worked into the top 2 inches of soil. But I think they will be grateful for anything!

I am a bit late planting my bulbs, the instructions say up to December but my guess is we haven't had December yet.

The bulbs arrived this week with last years flower stalks still attached so I know they are old enough to flower. Hopefully they can catch up with their spring foliage and with a good feed, hopefully, more flowers in the Autumn.

Have not heard of saffron being shipped so late. Are you sure they've sent you the right thing? Mine lose their flower stalks within a couple of weeks of flowering, so by the end of November there is no sign that they have ever flowered. The bulbs do have a wispy bit but that's from the dead foliage. They start dying back from mid-April and mine are fully dormant by early July.

Trikidiki

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2016, 19:18 »
I have no reason to doubt that they are saffron bulbs.

I would guess that the grower has harvested the stigma from the bulbs last Autumn then lifted and dried them ready for shipping. Yours in the ground are going to be subject to wetting and drying and all manner of bacteria and fungi that would cause the flower stalks to 'disappear'. I will have a look when I cut of the flower stalks off to see if the stigma have been removed.

Time will tell.

surbie100

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 20:28 »
As you say, time will tell - would you be able to post a photo? Are they British ones? I've never heard of saffron being sold like that, but am always interested in learning something new.

Trikidiki

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 18:54 »
I don't know the source of the corms.

On closer inspection, some of the corms have flowered some have been dried before the flower has opened fully. The stigma on those I could open were intact.

The first photo attached shows the bulbs as purchased, the second shows the packaging, the third shows the stigma inside the flowers.

All potted up now.
20160110_134710.jpg
20160110_134721.jpg
20160110_135825.jpg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 19:08 »
I don't want to rain on your parade Trikidiki, but I would contact the vendor and ask for my money back.

Those corms have tried to flower in desperation because they haven't been planted in time.  That will have taken a lot out of them and they may now not even have the resources to grow leaves again to fuel themselves up for next year :(

surbie100

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 21:07 »
I'm really sorry, I likewise don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I would also ask for my money back.  :(

I totally agree with NewShoot that these have tried to grow already or have been dug up at the wrong point. I've posted a couple of pictures of dormant corms. Future flowering is dependent on bulking up immediately post-flowering, which means the corms need to be established by late autumn. I also wouldn't be sure that these would grow.

They have sent you inaccurate planting instructions too, in my opinion. Corms need to go in in summer, personally I'd say August at the latest. They should be planted 10-15cm deep and apart, not 5cm, to encourage flowering & multiplying. Their information online is correct though - but different from what is printed on the photo of the packet.
saffron.jpg
saffron2.jpg

Trikidiki

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 22:19 »
Not disagreeing with you, 'New shoot', but I don't see that will make a huge amount of difference. Saffron, being an Autumn flowering plant, has a different cycle to a normal bulb/corm.

As I understand it, the main growth stage for saffron is in the Spring and early Summer when it produces its true leaves and builds up the reserves in the corms. As the plant isn't photo-synthesising (to any large extent) when it produces its flower it shouldn't make any difference whether the corm is in the ground or above ground. As long as it is planted in time to produce its true leaves again in the Spring there shouldn't be an issue.

I know I am a bit late planting them (and was aware of that when I bought them) but accept that and feel they can catch up in the Spring. The bulbs feel firm. If they don't flower this Autumn then the corms will have another Spring/Summer to build strength for flowering the following Autumn. I'm in no hurry, I've been meaning to plant some for years but never got round to it, if I leave it now who knows when I'll get round to it again. At least I have them in now even if they need nurturing for another year. They've got two choices.

Didn't actually read the packet until after  photographed it and they were planted, surbie100. I had already done some reading up from other resources.

P.S. They are UK grown.

surbie100

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 23:06 »
I hope they do work out for you then. Let us know how you get on.  :)

If they don't I'll probably have some spare next summer.

Trikidiki

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 23:16 »
Thanks for that, hopefully won't have to take you up on the offer.

clip
Saffron

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2018, 20:32
by snowdrops
xx
Saffron

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 07, 2010, 07:35
by Pip Judgeford
xx
YAY! Saffron!!

Started by Heather_S on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 17, 2006, 08:33
by Heather_S
xx
Saffron

Started by Brummie on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 23:34
by chriscross1966

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.