What foods should chickens not eat...

• 26 Replies

bramford

Re: What foods should chickens not eat...
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2011, 21:50 »
as said before if they don't like it they won't eat it  :)

Robster

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2011, 21:55 »
I read a similar thing about beans last year after mine had eaten a few.  I panicked but they were fine as I am sure yours will be.  They are pretty smart a knowing what's what.  I do avoid anything salty, I read something once.  So they don't get leftover crisps or anything like that.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 22:22 »
Mine love grapes and blanket weed from the pond, cabbage of any kind is also devoured.  I had to fence off my foxgloves and asters as they were eating them as well. :wacko:

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2011, 12:48 »
I read a similar thing about beans last year after mine had eaten a few.  I panicked but they were fine as I am sure yours will be.  They are pretty smart a knowing what's what.  I do avoid anything salty, I read something once.  So they don't get leftover crisps or anything like that.

The best way to ensure your birds don't get leftover crisps is to make sure you eat them all.  Crisps or chickens both are equally effective in preventing this. ::)
HF
Truth through science.

VickyW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 14:19 »
Generally cook all veg including potatoes as they can't digest starch without it being boiled first.  I'm surprised at chx eating onions which has very little nutritional value.  Anything with seeds, apart from citrus fruits, are OK including melon and pumpkin seeds.
HF

I have a melon, so will have seeds, do I do anything to them? dry them etc

8doubles

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 16:53 »
As they come out of the melon is fine. Hens can get more melon off the skin than we can manage with a spoon too !

3Bluebelles

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 07:29 »
Our girls once devoured a patch of leeks in the garden, including digging up and eating the roots. We then had a week of eggs smelling and tasting of leeks!

Nice in an omelette, but doesn't really work in fairy cakes!!!!

hillfooter

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 18:20 »
as said before if they don't like it they won't eat it  :)

Just because they like it is not necessarily a good guide to what you should be feeding them.  After all kids like icecream, chocolate, burgers abnd curly fries but it's not a good idea to let them eat them on a regular basis.

In general chx will eat anything with seeds but avoid citrus fruits and don't over indulge them with treat feeds and particularly processed foods like pasta.  Layers pellets should form the bulk of their diet and a bit of foraging should be encouraged.  Low energy food is good so they need to eat a significant bulk of fibre which will keep them active to get the energy intake they need.

HF

Sideshoot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2011, 07:57 »
trying to keep mine from eating the tomato leaves is a constant task, they seem to want to try everything they see lol

Is uncooked corn on the cob ok ? mine love it.

jesschocolate28

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 12:49 »
Thanks guys (im a veggie and my chickens mean the world to me so i will not be eating them, howeveer i have discovered their love of bread;))
Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there?   I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its butt."   Minnie&Bonnie<3

hillfooter

« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2011, 13:14 »
Thanks guys (im a veggie and my chickens mean the world to me so i will not be eating them, howeveer i have discovered their love of bread;))

Whether you intend to eat your chx or not is irrelevant as far as the law on what you feed them is concerned.  It's the fact that chx as a species are classed as a "farmed animal"  even though yours may be pets which determines that the law applies to them.

HF

jesschocolate28

« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2011, 13:26 »
I meant about the post on giving them onions to give their meat more flavour:) they do eat a variety as they forage alot and are constantly eating everything they can in our vegetable patch, as well as lots of corn, grit(such as oyster shells) and layers pellets. However now they are only eating layers pelltes with Flubenvet mixed in because Bonnie has developed a serious case of worms:/

xx
The foods chicks can eat.

Started by chooknewbie on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 28, 2008, 12:13
by chooknewbie
xx
natural foods

Started by greenfingers spain on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 18:12
by karlooben
xx
List of foods and treats

Started by jertzee on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 10:48
by Junie
question
Best feed for winter on the market and foods to be fed to keep weight on???

Started by kymw90 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 14, 2012, 16:26
by helens-hens

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 38 queries.