How much for pullets just now

• 19 Replies

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
How much for pullets just now
« on: June 16, 2009, 13:28 »
How much are folk paying for hybrid pullets either pol or in lay? Meadowsweets for instance.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Re: How much for pullets just now
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 14:59 »
My Isa Brown (Warren) was £11, a Bovans Nera and a Light Sussex Hybrid £15 each I think, and a Skyline (mad headpiece and blue eggs) £21 from Southmead Poultry - very very good healthy girls from a knowledgeable, fussy supplier.

I have just bought 3 day old Cream Legbar girls from her for £9 each.

Isa Browns were £9 each at the farm supply shop down the road, but not half as well brought up or healthy. You get what you pay for I expect. I expect Surrey is expensive too!!  ?? :blink:
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 15:11 »
I paid £5 a bird for my Warrens.

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 15:26 »
Around 12.50 each for a ginger ranger, a speckeldy and  a light sussex hybrid.

nzdunn

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 15:39 »
i paid £15 each for my cuckoo marans      nickyx

Caralou

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 15:41 »
£5.50 to £9 depending on supplier for warrens around here, £12 for other hybrids or £18 for pure breeds roughly

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 15:43 »
prices vary greatly throughout the country and from different breeders and sellers, the poultry breeder i know sells pol pullets at around £7 each, she has good healthy birds, i have just ordered 12 cream legbar eggs for £6.00 and 12 RIR eggs for £7.00, i think £9.00 each for day old cream legbars is rather a lot but it depends on how much your willing to pay.

bubs

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 16:05 »
down here in gwent one supplier sells pol {warrens ,amberlees} for about £6 a bird but he hasn't got any at the moment and i want another 6 , while some other suppliers are asking £14 a bird i think i will wait a month or so .

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 16:54 »
Thanks everyone  :D  I am hoping to pick up a few layers - my lot aren't doing well - I think moults are in the offing - and I have grumpy customers!!

treacle

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 19:02 »
I recently paid £20 each for a light Sussex and a cuckoo maran, quite expensive looking at other peoples response, >:( thinking maybe it could have had something to do with pulling up in a Mitsubishi GTO TT! lol  :D

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 19:35 »
Bluebelles, Speckledeys etc around £15 a bird. Browns, gingers, goldlines, lohmanns etc around £10 to £12 for quality.

Pure breeds range from £15 for pekins up to £175 for chocolate orps....

Beware ex free range farmed birds. These are replaced at 74 weeks old and to the unexperienced eye look no different form a POL bird. Some people buy these in for buttons and resell them as POL.
Hence why there are a lot of cheap brown hens around

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 20:38 »
£9 each does sound a lot for a day old chick, doesn't it? I thought so too, but my broody was desperate  ::).

However, I know they are all girls, and a POL cream Legbar is around £25 around here (must be something to do with the blue eggs  :blink:). So overall I was happy. I just hope they get through their first 5 months ok!!!

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2009, 21:40 »
hi there, i just bought 3 10wk old pullet hens for a fiver each today and they were black araucanas.

the hatching eggs were £1 per half dozen so chicks wouldn't be very much, she had 3 day olds but we didn't take them away from the mum and put them under a lamp, seemed to be the wrongthing seeing as they were free and in the sun.

I have paid up to £18 a bird for POL breeds i went and picked out from a big lot of free range birds but these were all fully vaccinated (apparently - can you get a certificate at all for proof??) and they are very healthy birds and great layers compared to the cheap birds i wish i'd known more about. They're all settled now though but you can't beat quality.

I personally think that buying poultry can be a bit like choosing a local garage until you really know someone you trust re their background and what goes on their end. Word of mouth is always a good one (that's not foot and mouth to you cynics ;)  )x

What county are you in?? Maybe someone morelocal on here can help you/ recommend someone??xxx

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 12:07 »
Hi Chookster - I have a couple of people locally I have had nice birds from, but I like to keep an eye on the market to make sure I don't pay over the odds  :unsure: especially as I really want layers and not pols. We are a canny lot up here north of nowhere. Anyway I can't do much this week and the little blighters will probably be back on full production by the time I get sorted. Such is life. :wub:

Bubbles

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 12:13 »
My Isa Brown (Warren) was £11, a Bovans Nera and a Light Sussex Hybrid £15 each I think, and a Skyline (mad headpiece and blue eggs) £21 from Southmead Poultry - very very good healthy girls from a knowledgeable, fussy supplier.

I can vouch for Southmead Poultry, my three ISA Browns are from there, they are beautiful girls and havent stopped laying since I got them in March. Lady there was very helpful to an absolute beginner!

xx
pullets

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 06, 2010, 11:16
by craig1981
xx
Pullets

Started by Andy J on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 10, 2008, 22:30
by henpecked
xx
3 new RIR pullets!

Started by CLARE SWANN on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 19:54
by Hawkins
xx
How much are pullets to buy?

Started by BJ on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 23, 2007, 12:41
by BJ

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 38 queries.